The One and Only SAFETY THREAD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought we needed a place to post things that we've noted or fixed that bear on safety. I didn't find such a thread, but if I missed it this should be moved to that location.

SAFETY OBSERVATION: While I was working under the dash I noted a bare metal member that extends from the left side of the driver's foot well just under the lower edge of the dash. It has a raw unfinished edge that is very sharp, and on my 2011 it's rusting. In serious collisions people suffer lower extremity injuries, and this sharp piece of metal would do certain damage if the driver's foot or shin slammed into it. Recommend everyone round that edge at a minimum. It'll take but 5-10 minutes with whatever you've got handy - Dremel, hand file, sandpaper, etc. You might want to paint it, too.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch...so you are saying I got a knife under my dash just waiting to cut my legs off in a crash...

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've rounded and painted mine black, so it would not show up in a photo very well at all. Just open the driver's door, squat down next to the truck, and look up under the left lower edge of the dash. You'll see it. Run your finger along its edge for proof if you must, but have a bandage handy.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The scar on my hairy ass leg is from that sheet metal when I wrecked my raptor.

Bingo! Proof of an unsafe factory design.

When the paint cures on mine, I'm going to cover the edge with a slit length of rubber hose and tape the whole thing with rubberized self-sealing tape.