The one and only radio thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
By themselves, horrible. But if you get a good antenna it's very much improved. We caught someone in Maryland on our convoy to havoc. He was 5 miles away at first. Then continued to chat for about the next 20 miles. We were both impressed.

The guys who have used theses on the point to point runs have a hard time communicating to the lead. Depending how far back they are.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Just wanted to add that it also depends on the type of terrain you are running through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WReX24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that it also depends on the type of terrain you are running through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely true, and I should have mentioned that. The way most of us use these radios is point to point, aka your radio to the other radios in your group. So if you're operating on completely flat terrain, it doesn't really matter how large of an antenna you have, because your signal will still be able to reach the other radios (within the transmission range of your radio). However once you add in mountains, hills, buildings, weather, and distance (curvature of the earth {this is probably accounting for radios with a much greater broadcasting range than these}), that's where you run into issues, and is the reason why an external antenna helps.

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone try the KG-UV8D? Looking at definitely getting a handheld and hoping I will have enough time to also install/wire a full power unit in the truck before snowball.

scarrjack

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am getting a radio installed next week and they are programming it for me, I just need to supply the frequencies. So far I have:

151.625 weatherman
151.820 GLRE1
151.880 GLRE2
151.940 GLRE3
152.75 TRR2

Are these correct? And what are some more that I can get programmed?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am getting a radio installed next week and they are programming it for me, I just need to supply the frequencies. So far I have:

151.625 weatherman
151.820 GLRE1
151.880 GLRE2
151.940 GLRE3
152.75 TRR2

Are these correct? And what are some more that I can get programmed?
PM Raptorwifey with your email, she can send you a frequency list.

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f195/november-pay-forward-event-38746/#post780993

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PCI race radios has a good list on their site. That's pretty much what everyone uses...

--john

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Prices are within a few dollars. O matter where you go.

Also, I the weatherman (if you don't know who this is then look it up) owns PCI, and what he has done for the Baja alone is enough for me to be a lifelong customer.

--john.