The "I am not very good at coming up with truck names" build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I guess now is as decent as a time to start a build thread as any. I'm not real good at coming up with clever names for my truck (I do actually try), despite being pretty detail oriented I am not the best at documentation, and I am somewhat disorganized at times, so here we go lol. At the very least it will help me get things in order.

A little about the truck:
It started life as 2014 raptor 801A blue flame metallic with the blue accent interior and I picked it up with ~22,000 miles in August of 2017. Bought the truck in Columbus, Ohio and the truck had seem some salt, but the rust wasn't/isn't horrible. I daily drove the truck for a couple years until I bought a 2000 ranger that I drive around most of the time. The truck was completely stock and stayed that way for a while, which is rare for me.

How I use the truck
I love going Offroad and taking the truck out as much as possible but living on the eastern side of the US my options are a bit more limited than some of my buddies out west. While I do like hitting the trails, the truck sees a bit of track time and has left the ground at least once. So the truck makes about 4-6 events per year (trying to get that number up with a few other events/locations), interstate driving to the event though I am strongly considering a tow rig once funds permit, and weekend runs to Taco Bell, Jimmy Johns, etc.

Goal for truck
To keep it basically forever and just keep modifying it over time. The truck is almost always currently under construction in one form or another. I think of it more like a hot rod/toy. No part is sacred but at the same time I want to do my best to make a sharp product from it. To make it more capable, more race truck-esque, etc. I wouldn't really consider my truck "built" but it isn't or soon won't be what most call stock.

I'll update this thread as I go, but will fill up the first few posts with where we are at, at current.

For now, here are a few photos of the truck as close to stock as I have:

8BD20E59-301F-433C-9D35-6524580A1651.jpeg1EB5BC7F-7DD4-4DD7-9976-F3F97BE9A0A7.jpeg9658C6C5-AC70-4C88-A8AB-D4899F4E53BF.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On to the bouncy bouncy parts. As mentioned above I really enjoy taking the truck off road and while I don't get to do it as often as I would like, the trips we go on are weekend long, were a little hard on the truck (the speed I drove is probably what made it hard on the truck lol), have to drive the truck to and from the events for now. So I began modifying to help it last longer, well let's be realistic, I like modifying things and turning wrenches so... My criteria for the truck is long term durability while increasing the fun factor. We do a combination of sidexside race tracks (lots of jumps), faster trails, some tighter trails, and I'm going to try and make it to the dunes this year or next.

The suspension journey has been an interesting one so far. While I enjoy turning wrenches and would be willing to take on the job otherwise, I have not learned to weld yet so I figured the rear suspension install should be done by the shop that sold me the kit. Well, the shop went out of business last year, the shop that built the bypass rack was in Cali and might also be out of business, so I ended up working with a fab shop that is about 10 miles from the house (had no idea they were there until recently) and made a good friend out of it who I plan to work with in the future. I did an absolute ton of research into setting up the rear suspension, locating the lower shock mounts, shock angle, etc. and then we got after it. Planned the work and worked the plan and it went smoothly, truck performs pretty good.

Can't wait for the new goodies to come in for the front and start installing them. I think we are about 10 weeks out on the kit showing up, not sure on the shocks yet.

Front Suspension:
Current
  • King 3.0 OEM replacement series.
    • Set to roughly 60% uptravel
  • Icon delta joint UCA's
  • Lower control arm slots locked out with KHC slot delete
  • Crown performance +1 brake lines
    • These also have a 90 degree fitting on them so they may work for the new front kit as well
  • Otherwise stock
  • Alignment with Quick Trick alignment kit
    • Not as easy to use as it could be, but not bad for what it costs
Planned
  • Blitzkrieg Motorsports mid travel kit
    • I will run the 600lbs/in. springs at first as I think I have enough adjustment on the collars to get the ride height where I'll want it, but we will see if I need stiffer springs or not
  • King 8" 3.0 3 tube bypasses (secondary) race series
  • Limit straps
  • King 2.0 or 2.5 bump stops (likely but not sure yet)
  • Frame stiffener plates
Previous
  • Geiser springs on bottom perch
  • Stock springs with mid perch

Rear Suspension
Current
  • HM Suspension bypass rack (modified)
  • King 16" 3.5's 5 tube race series bypasses
    • Roughly 40%-45% uptravel
    • 17.5" total travel
  • Deaver K96 (+3's)
  • Camburg 1.5" drop shackle
  • Icon bump stops
    • 2.0's
    • Collar removed for 1" additional up travel
  • Crown performance extended brake lines
Planned
  • Tie the bypass rack into the bed stabilizer with tubing couplers so they are independently removable
    • Should help stiffen up the whole setup too
    • Limit straps
    • Anti wrap bar/torque arm
    • Still working on the geometry of it, components, and the degrees of freedom at the axle housing
  • Weld in bump stops
    • King 2.5's
    • With frame stiffener plates
  • Possibly switching to the +4.5 Deaver's that RPG uses
    • If I decide I need more up travel and I stay leaf sprung....................
  • Maybe a 3 link + panhard or 4 link short course set up (not a back half)
    • What is wrong with me?? LOL Enjoy your truck with Deaver's and bypasses or link and drive it again in 2 years
E27268BC-8031-46F2-91C4-42006BC7B86B.jpegAFD502FC-0234-4A70-B3E5-820984AFC3A5.jpeg4D981053-38B9-478D-A6CE-92A4384F04CC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now we come to the parts most people look at, the outside. I really have not spent too much time on this part so it is interesting that it is second on the list. But, much like everything else I like to be a little different.

Current
  • Frame cut front bumper
    • Fabricated by Mitchell Fabrication in Panama City, Florida
    • Welded onto frame horns
    • Connected lower control arm pockets with a tube that the skid plate tubes tie into
    • Light tabs welded to inside of top tube with cutouts in valance to clear lights
      • Got this idea from Ryan Felish's truck
    • Went with a tapered skinnier skid plate then a few of the other companies are producing
      • I may add some bars from the skid plate tubes to the top tube support tubes for protection for the oil filter and what not
    • I painted the bumper with primer and Rustoleum satin black

• High clearance dove tail style rear bumper
    • Fabricated by Mitchell Fabrication in Panama City, Florida
    • Bolts to top 2 bolt holes on the frame.
      • Lower bolt holes were cut off
    • Has dimple die inserts that I will likely leave raw but may sprat with raptor liner
    • Retained back up sensors
    • includes a hitch that will likely only serve as a recovery point, but it is there if needed
    • Bed sides were dovetailed and top tube does not wrap around the sides as I prefer that look

• Wheels (I guess these fall into exterior/looks)
    • Method 701's matte black
      • WD-40 to keep them from looking chalky
    • Kibbetech/Innov8 yellow zinc lug nuts

Planned
  • +2 +2 front fenders and bedsides
    • Still working out the details on these, more to come
    • Plan to color match the flares (meaning I'll have the body guy just paint them the same color as the rest, lol)
    • Plan to spray the inside of the fenders with raptor liner
    • Plan to make fender liners with ABS
  • Steps matching construction of bumpers (Maybe....)
  • Probably re-place the hood graphic at some point as mine is showing its age
FC392A36-C7B2-4AE4-B1EB-6D3930C98603.jpeg58C37F1D-3162-4761-AA3D-9F6995F51813.jpeg59A005C5-5B39-4771-B343-4325340DD1D9.jpeg53955A44-81C6-4477-89DB-D19F99C01CC8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, let's keep this thread moving down the road.............See what I did there

This is one area of the truck where I haven't really touched too much, though I do have plans. Bigger tires are on the shorter list, therefore need more power. Once again durability is higher on the list so an engine mods will get sorted out ahead of time and any tunes will have to be somewhat conservative.

I think my list is a little more disorganized than usual, lol.

Current:
  • B&M trans pan
    • Bought this to aid in fluid changes, though it does seem to keep the trans temps a little lower (they take longer to spike and then come down a little quicker)
    • probably due to the larger volume and the fact that it is aluminum.
  • R1 concepts drilled and slotted rotors with post-quiet pads from freedom motorsports
    • Doing what I expected, no complaints
    • I notice them and like the look far more than I expected
  • Ford Performance diff cover
    • Bought this one since the spicer one was sold out and I needed to do a fluid change
    • Bought it for ease of service
    • I did have an issue with bolt backing out at 20 ft-lbs
      • Went up to 25 ft-lbs and orange thread locker
  • Dirty Deeds 20 inch
    • Zero complaints, good sound and minimal drone
    • Did break a weld at the front of the muffler and the rubber hanger broke
      • All fixed and still on the truck
    • Took a good rock dent from last durhamtown outing. It was loud, since we were scooting along when it shot from the front tire.
  • GJ motorsports powersteering reservoir kit with cooler
    • modified pressure relief

Future:
  • Fabricated axle housing
    • Leaning towards BMS or Longer Racing for this one.
    • Would like to use an electric locker, probably from eaton and use the factory switch if possible. We'll see. Also weird that I want to keep something factory, lol
    • Waiting to decide my plans for the rear suspension: sprung over, sprung under, short course linked
    • Need to do a shade more research into all the components
    • Need to figure out front hubs or wheel modifications with rear hubs since I do plan to keep 4x4.
  • Headers (Eventually)
    • Probably stainless works, thought I do like the 3 bolt ball and socket connection on the Kooks.
  • Cams and necessary accompanying upgrades (less likely, but who knows)
    • I have wanted to cam it for a while, but I doubt it will happen.
  • Power adder....................Here we go (slaps own wrist)
    • I can't get supercharging this truck out of my head (YouTube), and I am leaning towards pro charger for a few reasons
      • I like the stage 2 dedicated drive so that if something happens to the belt I can essentially run it N/A to limp home. 2 belts and it seems that OEM is untouched.
      • I have always liked centrifugals and turbos, though I have nothing against Whipple or Roush
    • Concerns
      • I am a little concerned about the open air filter and the filter media. Would really like a box and Donaldson or UMP housing.
      • I have an email I am working on to reach out to a few people to get some things sorted out. Need to do more research.
      • Possible tuning issues, need to learn more about this
  • Engine swap
    • I will certainly not remove this engine while it is in good condition and working. This is a more "down the road"/"if something happens" bullet point, but I would consider a built 6.2, Livernois 6.6, or a 7.3 (my personal favorite)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope to brighten y'alls day with this one.......... I'm trying, but running out of jokes/puns when I'm tired

I may have to come back and edit this one a few times as we are currently under construction as well as I am liable to plain forget, lol. Note that I did most of this from memory so some of the model/names may not be correct. I have spent the past few weekends getting all of the old wiring out and installing new wire. I was able to re-use a bit of it, but what I did was attempt to clean up all of my existing auxiliary wiring and make it easier to add any circuits for what have you. I would say I am 80-85% complete, next task is get some cadd files to my fabricator and get some plate layered and bent for the RTMR mounts and the fuse block mounts.

Current:
  • Front "bumper" lights (recessed into from valance"
    • BD Squadron SAE's in amber
    • BD Squadron Pro wide cornering in amber
    • BD Squadron Pro driving combo in white
    • BD Squadron Pro spot in white
  • A-pillar lights
    • BD XL 80 in amber
  • Under hood
    • BD rock lights mounted to grill brackets
  • 3rd brake light
    • GJ motorsports with NMO mount
    • BD S2 pro combo in amber
    • BD S2 sport work/scene in white
  • Blue water LEDs truck bed light kit
  • ARB twin air compressor mounted in bed
  • USB charger for iPad
  • iPad running LeadNav GPS
  • Icom F5021
  • External speaker mounted underneath Builtright panel on dash

Coming soon, as in as soon as I finish the project (some parts are existing and some parts are new)
  • Switches
    • Crown Offroad 6 switch panel by sunglass holder on roof
      • 3 going relays (All open at current) and 3 live to be used for low current draw items (GPS antenna, USB charger, interior lights, etc.
    • Custom 8 switch plate by "knee panel"
      • 7 going (5 forward facing lights and 2 open for now) to relays and 1 going to under hood lights
  • Power distribution
    • (2) Eaton RTMR 15303-5-2-4
      • powered with 2 ga. wire per RTMR
      • Still working on cab entrance location with Blue Sea power posts
      • Fused at 80 amps per unit with Blue Sea fuse block

Parts on the short list to order
  • Dual Bluetooth GPS antenna
  • Baofeng charger
  • Second USB charger
  • Interior "dome" lights
    • BD rock lights to replace factory dome and map lights
  • Rear facing BD S1's work/scene in amber
89D9976C-029D-4BD3-8A7A-67F6BFBBB6BF.jpegC2292031-A7F5-41B2-A297-7C54C3F2CE31.jpegB8338442-8D39-4E8A-A7D0-E6CB773610DD.jpeg

Last edited: