The drive-mode button is a huge design fail.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Honestly, after I figured out how fast and easy the cooled seats can share a fart I forgot all about drive modes. :D

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL...salesman know nothing...ever

I had a clown show of 3 different salesmen trying to sell me my truck. All saying contradictory info about it that was wrong. I get that dealerships are their own 'dynasty's' but if I was Ford, I'd move closer to a franchise model with basic standards for parts, service, and sales.

2 of those 3 test drove with me and did the whole 'I have to drive it off the lot, then you can drive thing' In doing so, both almost wrecked the truck. They typically didn't allow Raptor test drives at all, so these guys were in full clown mode.

Re the mode button.
I agree with the OP and other comments. I found it counterintuitive and since I have a '19, some of the menu is different. But still the same basic problem of small button, not a different texture or color, can easily jump into 4x4 modes on pavement (thankfully interlocked out) and if I had the ability to reorder the menu to suit the modes, that would be awesome.

Overall it was more of an issue when I was new to the truck, but I'm still aware of the finicky interface.

The first time I was offroad and in a 4x4 mode, I just assumed the truck would remember I was in 4x4. That isn't something that magically disappears when you stop the truck to take a leak. Anyway, back into Normal 2wd and luckily I didn't really get after it. I did have that face for a second, like WTF is going on?

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah - looks like last minute design

They should have had 3 buttons
Normal / rain
Sport
Off-road suite

In modes with more than one function, pressing the button cycles through the suite

Pittbug

Reaction score
I was a little surprised when I first played with the mode button that as soon as I pressed + it immediately changed. I wish I could scroll through the modes, then use the OK button to confirm my selection.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a little surprised when I first played with the mode button that as soon as I pressed + it immediately changed. I wish I could scroll through the modes, then use the OK button to confirm my selection.

Hhmmm?, My 2018 802A doesn't. if you press it once, it just shows all the modes with the current mode highlighted. If you don't press it again to move the selection, nothing changes and it just disappears after ~2 sec. To change modes, you must press it at least twice.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
2 of those 3 test drove with me and did the whole 'I have to drive it off the lot, then you can drive thing' In doing so, both almost wrecked the truck. They typically didn't allow Raptor test drives at all, so these guys were in full clown mode.

Yeah... I don’t have the patience for BS, so I channel Drill Sergeant Boothe:

“wrong answer.”

I’d have responded with ‘wrong answer. Do you want to sell the truck or not?’ ( actually, up your way I’d have said “...or not, eh?!”

There’s more than one Raptor in the world.

I once bought a car in under an hour, I told them point blank: You have exactly 60 minutes from the time we agree to get me out the door. If you’re 1 minute late, I leave, no deal. He agreed. 59 minutes later I drove off the lot with my wife and a ’97 SVT Mustang. I even had a trade in; a ’90 GT and actually did fairly well on both the car and trade. Now, to be fair, I test drove the car on a previous visit so all in I was probably about 2.5 hours, but under one hour has been my best effort to date. Hell, that guy threw me the keys for the test drive and said try to be back today...

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... I don’t have the patience for BS, so I channel Drill Sergeant Boothe:

“wrong answer.”

I’d have responded with ‘wrong answer. Do you want to sell the truck or not?’ ( actually, up your way I’d have said “...or not, eh?!”

My recent experiences with sales have been that they basically don't tell me anything about the vehicle, probably because I don't ask them anything other than 'what sort of discount can you give me?', 'or when you do you think you'll get more in stock'. I don't ask them questions about the vehicle, and they don't offer anything. Like most people I would assume (possibly poor assumption), I already get all the info I needed about the vehicle from the internet before I showed up. I know which ones I want to test drive, usually before I got to the dealership.

As far as the test drive, they usually let me drive it by myself. It seems as though they only come along if it's a vehicle they actually want to test drive themselves...like a used Raptor on a Ram lot.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
My recent experiences with sales have been that they basically don't tell me anything about the vehicle, probably because I don't ask them anything other than 'what sort of discount can you give me?', 'or when you do you think you'll get more in stock'. I don't ask them questions about the vehicle, and they don't offer anything. Like most people I would assume (possibly poor assumption), I already get all the info I needed about the vehicle from the internet before I showed up. I know which ones I want to test drive, usually before I got to the dealership.

As far as the test drive, they usually let me drive it by myself. It seems as though they only come along if it's a vehicle they actually want to test drive themselves...like a used Raptor on a Ram lot.

I Research the vehicle from comfort of home. Get text number for a sales person at multiple dealerships. Work out the deal via text and get financials worked out before going into dealer. Tell them to have it prepped and washed prior to arrival. I want to be in and out in less than an hour. I also have my numbers worked out for the finance officer about warranty and then I decline everything else through the salesman because I don’t even want them to try and hard sell me in the back room.

The funny one was when I bought my 2019 Raptor I had 3 dealers trying to win my bid with the same exact truck lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a very basic menu. I mean, you have to give some responsibility to the owner to know what they are doing. You also can’t shift into 4L without going to 3mph and then neutral. 4H yeah, it will give you a warning.

I wouldn’t let a child drive it, everyone else, it’s only an automobile. When other ppl drive it, I would bet they don’t drive it as hard as you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk