The death of car culture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with electric vs fuel burning.

Kids today are less and less impressed with the idea of this kind of transportation. I have tons of nieces and nephews and other family members in their 20's who will don't have licenses. I work with some people in their late 20s and early 30s who have licenses, but don't drive. I was at the DMV on my 16th birthday. It's just not the same today.

That "freedom" is just not that big of a deal. It's from getting from a to b. The idea that I need to travel somewhere to experience something, or to see someone, or to have friendships is getting blurred. The use of technology, video conferencing, chat, and other things are replacing the physical movement of a body to another. The idea that cars impress girls, ****, that's _gone_.

Agreed! I just turned 50 and am into off-road vehicles and classic cars (own a 66 Mustang) because I love them. I've been driving since I was 12 years old. License right at 16. First car was a 69 Camaro. I've never needed a car to get a girl. But that's the way I grew up. These kids are growing up different as the future will be different for them and their kids. No one will stop me from doing and owning what I love. So if all the states ban fuel burning vehicles, so what. I got what i already want and I'll pass it all to my son. He can do what he wants with them when I'm gone.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents: We are witnessing the death of “car culture”... and take pride in this “culture” of the Internal Combustion Engine.

I completely understand your frustration but "car culture" and ICE are 2 completely different topics. Car culture is shifting, not going away. The performance gains can be amazing for EV but lets see where the future modifications take us, that is still a bit unknown. But as Papa Smurf always says:

car culture will still be here, As long as there is a method of getting from point a to point b, there will be a contingent of the customer base who want to get there faster.

George Dyck

Reaction score
I had posted this as a response to a different thread but thought I’d start one to get all ur thoughts as well. Just my 2 cents: with all the comments here about EV’s (f150 lightning), what do you think when you‘ve actually seen one on the road? Was it like my thought “that (lightning) is ugly as sin!”. I would never buy that ev f150, it looks like a little toy, and nothing like a real F-150. Ford just announced the lay offs of thousands of workers and one of the resons was that those employees are not equipped to work with fords next phase of EV focus. We are witnessing the death of “car culture”. This next generation will never drive down main street or take over a parking lot with their hoods up to show what they drive, no more revving the engine, no more 4 wheeling etc. How fun will it be to show off your new ev “battery” or “modified infotainment screen”. Its happening across the board. Dodge announced they’re killing off the charger and challenger in ’23, they pledge to have an electric muscle car by ‘24. I thing gentlemen we are the last Gen, wether ur 1, 2 or 3 that will enjoy and take pride in this “culture” of the Internal Combustion Engine.
I can see the “modified high performance” end of the car culture slowly changing but I think if you look at the “overland” segment of car culture you will find that we are not the last gen. While they may not be high performance, high speed machines like our Raptors, they definitely are, and likely will remain powered by internal combustion engines. Hard to charge a bank of batteries when you’re off the grid. Different segment of the car culture yes, but still relevant.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I want to turn heads from the good ol' boys I drive my other "pickup". I put her together about 5 years ago and every time I take her out I am asked at least once if "can I take a picture of your truck?". Naw, the culture is alive and well. We just have a battle ahead of us that will be won with the wallet. EV's have horrible aging problems. The comparison to a ten year old laptop nailed it.

...Her nick name is "Tombstone"
20170820_182202.jpg

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe my Gen 2 will be my last daily driven gas truck. Im not spending ADM on a Gen 3 or R.
Diesel or electric will be next when tech improves.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every generation thinks they are the rearguard of car culture. Just because YOU don't like a given car and just because YOU don't know how to tinker on a given car does not mean there is not a new vanguard on the horizon.

Remember when all the papaws predicted the doom of car culture because of EFI and early computers? I do.
Japanese cars were going to kill car culture. No soul, just appliances.

Car culture survived the 55mph speed limit days and the malaise era. It'll continue long enough for none of us typing here to care one way or the other. I know some folks enjoy their hand wringing bouts between telling kids to get off their lawn...but it's going to be fine.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Car culture won’t die, but it’ll be different and weird. Imagine a Tesla car meet, what does that look like? Seeing who has the newest software update and checking out each others wrap jobs?

IHAVETWO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You go to a car cruise what do you see.people my age,born in fiftys and sixtys.No one in their twentys or so,bad.