The death of car culture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even at a cost of $ 6K - $ 12K (in today's dollars) who is going to pay very much for an EV 10 years from now. I wish someone would do a life cycle total cost for an IC engine vehicle and an EV. Between the mining for the cells and the disposal cost, plus the short life span, I still think this is a hoax on the American people. And I do not believe it will help the environment (everything considered) one bit. Call me an EV Denier. :cool:

I'm sure it will vary greatly depending on technology advancements, desirability, etc. Remember when 10 year old F-bodies and Fox Mustangs were basically free? When you could buy a K5 Blazer or full sized Bronco on a paperboy's salary? (or when paperboys were a thing, but I digress)

Econobox cars will continue to have shit resale because econoboxes always do. Whatever the market deems cool or collectible will have good resale, as cool collectibles always do. Whatever the Germans make will explode fifteen seconds after the warranty expires, and that's after seven fires and an ejection seat malfunction while it was under warranty.

I'm still somewhat amazed anybody wants a Kia, yet here we are. Everyone's crystal ball is fuzzy because you can't anticipate all the variables to really predict what 10 years from now looks like, let alone 20-30. Disruptive technologies, shifting cultural norms, alien contact giving us cold fusion powered hoverboards...nobody really knows and people just assume that tomorrow will be today, but more so.

bgfx

Reaction score
I'm sure it will vary greatly depending on technology advancements, desirability, etc. Remember when 10 year old F-bodies and Fox Mustangs were basically free? When you could buy a K5 Blazer or full sized Bronco on a paperboy's salary? (or when paperboys were a thing, but I digress)

Econobox cars will continue to have shit resale because econoboxes always do. Whatever the market deems cool or collectible will have good resale, as cool collectibles always do. Whatever the Germans make will explode fifteen seconds after the warranty expires, and that's after seven fires and an ejection seat malfunction while it was under warranty.

I'm still somewhat amazed anybody wants a Kia, yet here we are. Everyone's crystal ball is fuzzy because you can't anticipate all the variables to really predict what 10 years from now looks like, let alone 20-30. Disruptive technologies, shifting cultural norms, alien contact giving us cold fusion powered hoverboards...nobody really knows and people just assume that tomorrow will be today, but more so.
Bring on the cold fusion hoverboards!!! Long live the aliens!!

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had posted this as a response to a different thread but thought I’d start one to get all ur thoughts as well. Just my 2 cents: with all the comments here about EV’s (f150 lightning), what do you think when you‘ve actually seen one on the road? Was it like my thought “that (lightning) is ugly as sin!”. I would never buy that ev f150, it looks like a little toy, and nothing like a real F-150. Ford just announced the lay offs of thousands of workers and one of the resons was that those employees are not equipped to work with fords next phase of EV focus. We are witnessing the death of “car culture”. This next generation will never drive down main street or take over a parking lot with their hoods up to show what they drive, no more revving the engine, no more 4 wheeling etc. How fun will it be to show off your new ev “battery” or “modified infotainment screen”. Its happening across the board. Dodge announced they’re killing off the charger and challenger in ’23, they pledge to have an electric muscle car by ‘24. I thing gentlemen we are the last Gen, wether ur 1, 2 or 3 that will enjoy and take pride in this “culture” of the Internal Combustion Engine.
No we have time left in Calif Neusom is pushing the trans people to cancel gas powered vehicles

Matt Pearlman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had posted this as a response to a different thread but thought I’d start one to get all ur thoughts as well. Just my 2 cents: with all the comments here about EV’s (f150 lightning), what do you think when you‘ve actually seen one on the road? Was it like my thought “that (lightning) is ugly as sin!”. I would never buy that ev f150, it looks like a little toy, and nothing like a real F-150. Ford just announced the lay offs of thousands of workers and one of the resons was that those employees are not equipped to work with fords next phase of EV focus. We are witnessing the death of “car culture”. This next generation will never drive down main street or take over a parking lot with their hoods up to show what they drive, no more revving the engine, no more 4 wheeling etc. How fun will it be to show off your new ev “battery” or “modified infotainment screen”. Its happening across the board. Dodge announced they’re killing off the charger and challenger in ’23, they pledge to have an electric muscle car by ‘24. I thing gentlemen we are the last Gen, wether ur 1, 2 or 3 that will enjoy and take pride in this “culture” of the Internal Combustion Engine.
Ford doesn't care about "car culture".....they only care about MAKING MONEY. They are getting boatloads of govt funding/rebates to make these tesla like trucks. Absolutely sucks

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cant wait for the electric car shows..... so..... you got duracells under that floorboard or what?

cant wait for the electric car forums..... just upgraded my battery pack to 1000 cells yo. how do i wire in my honda generator to the car for more distance?

cant wait for the electric car drag strip....... you wanna race? just gimme 3 hours to charge bro, then im gonna kick your ass, oh wait, im 6th in line for the charger. i would have kicked your ass if i could have plugged in.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm still somewhat amazed anybody wants a Kia, yet here we are.

I don't think anybody wants a kia. They want cheap transporation, and kia provides. It's not like lottery winners go out and buy kia's.

As far a California's artificial deadlines, I think it's mostly a political show for Newsome to start positioning himself as a Presidential candidate. He can't do anything about being white, so he's got to do something else. And it's not like California hasn't had these environmental deadlines before that gets pushed back. I'm not saying EVs aren't coming in mass, but they aren't going to kill ICE off that quickly.

Do I think EV tech as saving the environment is a shame? Mostly. I think Musk had the right approach in that he saw a sweet spot in the auto market. He could sell EVs as performance/tech vehicles, get government rebates, and cut out the dealer middle man. It's just gravy if people think they are saving the planet. And I think Ford in others see the same on the EV side of things. It's about money, not environment.

I do think EVs make sense for a lot of people and needs right now, and I think battery tech will improve in energy density in charge in time to where it makes a lot more sense. I also think that a lot more could be achieved with ICE too, and it's sad that it's being abandoned. I think I'm more concerned about the price of fuel and oil based materials going up as we use it less and less gas for consumer vehicles.

The only thing that is really going to stop it is if people just stop buying EVs, which I think is entirely possible.

Also, oil companies aren't really going to be that hurt by this. If you listen to CEOs speak, they never try and control the market, they read the market and try and invest properly. The oil market has always been volatile with tons of government interference, nothing new for them. Besides, it's not really oil they sell, but energy and the transportation of said energy. You'll start seeing them buying up panel farms and windmills when it looks like a good investment, while shutting down oil related assets for tax breaks, or selling off.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I just want to know......WHERE the heII are the flying cars that I was promised when I was a kid??? We had The Jetsons on tv and Lost in Space. I had high hopes for my adult life! It's all been dashed to pieces. :sad72:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rmember standing in my friend's driveway when we were teenagers- smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. 30+ years ago now... I said "At some point in our life, there will be people dropping modified electric motors into cars to make them go faster instead of modifying gasoline engines."

We are still not there, as I've never seen anyone put a modififed/hot rodded motor in an EV yet, and teensagers sure as **** aren't doing it in a driveway yet- but it'll happen eventually.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
i cant wait for the electric car shows..... so..... you got duracells under that floorboard or what?

cant wait for the electric car forums..... just upgraded my battery pack to 1000 cells yo. how do i wire in my honda generator to the car for more distance?

cant wait for the electric car drag strip....... you wanna race? just gimme 3 hours to charge bro, then im gonna kick your ass, oh wait, im 6th in line for the charger. i would have kicked your ass if i could have plugged in.

Actually, these pathetic morons do post online, but not about what you think. My experience was with hypermilers and HOV snobs. I used to grab a short section of the HOV lanes on my bike for the ride home from work. I say short because ... well, I was on either my Ducati, ZX14 or ZX10r. The pace was brisk. One day I slotted in behind a staggered formation of priuii...? whatever the plural or prius. there were 5 or 6 of them, all going exactly 59mph in a 65 signed zone, with a line of cars stacked up behind them that had to be half a mile long. After attempts to politely suggest the left lane hogs should move and getting positive indication that wouldn’t happen, I split them all at about 75-80 to get past them... in 2nd gear. I was lamenting this on a local bike board and someone linked me to a local hypermiling board - yes, this is apparently “a thing”. This is where the passive aggressive road blockers get together and literally brag about how big a line they can get behind them. The link seemed to be the “other side” of the story I told above. They were more angry that the bloke on the bike broke through than anything else.