The death of car culture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's going to get ugly long before 2035. The combination of no more R&D into gas engines and the yearly tightening of the CAFE laws means that powerful ICE vehicles will be the first to go. And I think that things will have to get really ugly on the environmental and power delivery fronts before we admit we were wrong and backtrack to something more reasonable. Hopefully California will implode, catch fire, and fall into the ocean, in that order, so that the rest of us can get back to something like normal life.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's going to get ugly long before 2035. The combination of no more R&D into gas engines and the yearly tightening of the CAFE laws means that powerful ICE vehicles will be the first to go. And I think that things will have to get really ugly on the environmental and power delivery fronts before we admit we were wrong and backtrack to something more reasonable. Hopefully California will implode, catch fire, and fall into the ocean, in that order, so that the rest of us can get back to something like normal life.
At one point I would have thought that what California does, would not affect me. But they are what, the 7th largest economy in the world? I imagine that does affect things further than their state border.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As parents we need to stop relying on electronic baby sitters and engage our children. Remember when you were young? Mom saying "get out of this house and play outside!" because we made too much noise? Not due home till the street lights came on. Because mummy and daddy did not give us fancy electronic "baby sitters", we were FORCED to find entertainment elsewhere. I could go on for hours about what we did as children. 90% of it involved (OMG!) face to face contact! ...and that punch to the nose when you went overboard.
This is spot on.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cars used to be a big deal. Now darned near every kid is given a car when they turn sixteen. A nice car. That you don't have to fix constantly. And Mom and Dad buy the gas. Is it any wonder that they aren't valued? People only value what they have to work for. So yeah, when we die, car culture dies with us. I'm over it, specifically because I will be dead. Smoke 'em if you got' em and don't look back.
This is true. I cut the grass of people in my hood growing up starting about 13. Bought a 66 Mustang Coupe and learned every do and don't and McGyver stuff you could imagine. Still have it to this day, mostly like you said, I earned it and bought it

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. We call that a tune. Take all of the margin out of the design and it makes more power. Only now you burn your brushes instead of your rings.

You won't own a car. And you'll like it. So I'm being told, anyway. :mad:
Imagine the feeling and frustration of telling your buddy...."yeah, I smoked my brushes last night" rathet than saying "I blew a rod through the side of the block"......

Chizler22

Reaction score
The next shoe to drop will be when car manufacturers say they will no longer make replacement parts for ICE vehicles more than five years old. Then you know you’re s crewed.

flwrappeder

Reaction score
It'll be another tax charge to the consumer to keep combustion on the road. Similar to the tax on NOT having health insurance, im sure it'll be per vehicle, different rates calculated by each state as part of a federal mandate. Hopefully florida is still florida and does things their own way.Cali has some unreal expectations that wont happen. Big oil has all the money, they wont let it happen. Im not too keen on anyone being able to take control of a vehicle via networks and do as they please. Mods? There out there, speed controllers, ect for battery powered. Vote is all you can do, and hope its legit. Now if you'll excuse me, i have to get back to work so i can help pay off my neighbors gender studies degree.