The ALL NEW Howe Performance Power Steering System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Why does it need to be mounted the way in the picture, directly in front of the radiator. Can it not be located in the factory position if desired thus leaving room for lightbars?

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does this system work with the air to water intercoolers mounted behind to the rad pack like the whipped heat exchanger

OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure with some creative thinking, the mounting location can be adjusted to fit. I am considering adding it to my 14 Roush just to get an idea of fitment with an intercooler. The reason for mounting in that location would be to get as much air over the cooler and res as possible. But I am confident that it isn't the ONLY way to mount them. Although mounting in the stock location may not be an option simply due to the way the derale cooler mounts to the reservoir.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Chris@FreedomMotorsports Could you give us more infos about the system ? I'm more than interested like many of us on FRF but i'm a bit concerned on how hard it is to install it ? The upgraded pump comes in place of the OEM one ? What is that little black pan on the bottom of the reservoir ? :think:

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chris is currently extremely under the weather and has asked me to let you guys know that he will have your info tomorrow. I was going to give Howe a call this evening for him but did not make it home in time. If he is still not feeling well tomorrow, I will make a phone call and address all of your questions or concerns. Thank you!

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Chris is currently extremely under the weather and has asked me to let you guys know that he will have your info tomorrow. I was going to give Howe a call this evening for him but did not make it home in time. If he is still not feeling well tomorrow, I will make a phone call and address all of your questions or concerns. Thank you!

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Time is ticking Rook!

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Chris@FreedomMotorsports Could you give us more infos about the system ? I'm more than interested like many of us on FRF but i'm a bit concerned on how hard it is to install it ? The upgraded pump comes in place of the OEM one ? What is that little black pan on the bottom of the reservoir ? :think:

@treypal is correct, that is a filter. That being said, per Howe, the plan is to have a complete kit that is a workable upgrade for the Raptor. While the reservoir and cooler combo would indeed be an upgrade over stock, to make it work with the stock power steering pump, you (the end user) would have to do some fabrication to make that smaller package work as they are going with AN fittings on the lines, etc. To make a smaller kit to work with the stock pump would mean more fabrication and R&D that could drive the price of the kits up even more. They do not have plans to create or offer a smaller kit for just the reservoir and cooler.

The advantage to the full system is that when upgrading everything up to and including the pump, you are providing higher, more consistent overall pressure in the PS system. You see, when offroading, because of the design of the stock system, every time you hit a bump, the rack demands different pressures from the stock pump. So the system/pump is continuously demanding higher PSI to maintain proper control. Even with stock size tires, but especially when larger tires are added to the mix, this constant fluctuation in system pressure causes the fluid in the system to heat up to the point that the fluid begins to break down and lose overall lubricity. You also wind up with "cavitation" (air in the system) due to the design of the factory reservoir baffling. With other aftermarket reservoirs on the market, the reason they have a positive affect on the longevity of the system is mainly due to the design of the reservoir baffling to help avoid that cavitation or air intrusion in the system. Multiply the air intrusion with the over heated fluid in stressful offroad situations and you have a recipe for both burned up pumps and steering racks both. ESPECIALLY in rocky environments like Raush Creek. An example being the last Havoc in the hills event when racks and pumps were dropping like flies in trucks that were for the most part stock.

As for the mounting of the reservoir/cooler combo. Mounting in the stock location as designed is not an option due to the overall height of the combo. Also, if you have aftermarket light bars or a super charger cooler behind the grill, you will indeed have to get creative with fabricating a new mount to make them work. While the rest of the kit, like e power steering pump, is bolt on replacement due to the new pump mount that Howe has designed, some customers may need to get creative with the mounting of the res and cooler combo due to their other specific mods. This package is designed for use on generally stock trucks for the most part.

OP
OP
Chris@FreedomMotorsports

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, another update. The timing is still out a bit. Howe is manufacturing the AN fittings in house in bulk. Once they are done, they will be sending the lines (specifically the lines leading to the steering rack itself) and the AN fittings to all be welded together at the same time. That way, with how they are going about making the kits happen, they will be ready to keep up with demand once they begin shipping.

THAT being said, I have been authorized to offer a group buy. If we can get just THREE or more orders, I can offer an additional 15% OFF the price! That brings the sale price of the complete kit down from $1245 + $30 shipped to $1083.75 SHIPPED!!! So who's in?

Last edited: