Thank you to everyone for all the information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks stock.

Yeah, the pics look good and price is competitive. Get in the small print and they charge a pretty hefty set of fees for admin costs and "reconditioning" that add up to $1400-ish dollars. We never got to the talking price point, but even with the fees it was several thousand less than comparable vehicles are going for locally. I found a certified "Gold" one out in VA as well, but going to get this house thing sorted first.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Waiting on parts, let you know status Monday" is the last email I got from them. Here's the truck:

I just got a 30 day notice from my tenant, and I'm going to put that house up for sale while the market is still reasonably strong. I think I'll put the truck search on hold until that's done and then see if I want to add that cash infusion into the purchase or not. That'd make it pretty comfortable for me to get a lower trim new one, but I'll probably stick with an upper trim slightly used.

After two attempts to get information as basic as tire tread depth out of them, with no material response, I've given up. Maybe they are great, but it's like pulling teeth to get any question answered remotely and I'm not risking the time to fly out there if they can't be somewhat responsive to the most basic communication. They did say it's "out of the shop running good and looking good" instead of answering any specifics, so maybe if you're local and interested check them out. Look at the fees they charge on their web site, though. "Doc fee" of something like $500, and then a $995 "reconditioning fee"...I suppose so they can list a lower price but I figure that everything is negotiable. They've also raised the price a couple grand on their website, guess they want to recoup their cam phaser labor...

Anyway, I'm out.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found one I thought may work, but branded title due to manufacturer's buy back. It got a new engine earlier this year, truck has 18k on it. Just not super excited to buy a branded title. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=650367825 if anyone else is interested. 2020, leadfoot, black interior @ $65k

Have come close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Tremor. Contacted Ford marketing about getting a PCO. No dice so far. I'd end up having to do a level and new tires, that rake sucks, High package with the options I want with Granger comes out to a touch under $63k. Every 802a Raptor in my area at that price is 40-50k miles. Trying to find one further out has been frustrating, dealers don't want to provide info, photos, etc. when they can sell it local quickly.

God help me, I'm going to go drive a Power Wagon. I know most of you compare the TRX to the Raptor, but the TRX is a toy in my mind. The Power Wagon is a truck that can also off road, just in a very different way. I drove a 2018 and wasn't super impressed, but want to try the newest generation now that I've found one. Built in winch and lockers is appealing, most of the 'froading here is slow anyway but still dealing with it's a hefty boy. Visibility is fricking top notch, though. The 2018 was like driving a brontosaurus. Fred was on to something, should have kept his work vehicle instead of running through the floorboard.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only 7 are crew cabs and none are 2019 or up. Trust me, I have scoured the Midwest and Southeast. There is one in Mountain View AR, kind of difficult for me to get to since long drive and no good airport. Seems sketchy, though, been to auction 4 times.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Yeah, not a lot to choose from. Good luck with wherever your search leads you. In your position, I'd probably just get the F-150 Tremor and get a shorter block for the rear. There's a Rattler trim level based off the XL too. Haven't looked too far into it, but it may be an option.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not a lot to choose from. Good luck with wherever your search leads you. In your position, I'd probably just get the F-150 Tremor and get a shorter block for the rear. There's a Rattler trim level based off the XL too. Haven't looked too far into it, but it may be an option.

It's tough exactly because I don't want to settle and I have time. I'm not interested in the Rattler. I have a few "no compromise" things I won't buy without and they aren't available on the lower trims. The only reason I want the "high" on the Tremor is the headlights and transfer case. If I could get those ala carte, a mid level would be fine with me.

Here's the build I'm going for if I do the Tremor:
2023 F-150 Tremor W1E
Antimatter Blue
402A (High Trim)
998 (3.5 EcoBoost)
52X (Stop/Start Removal)
61T (Torsen Front)
60P (Underseat Storage)
96W (Bed Liner)

Granger pricing and my 1st responder discount gets me at $62,425 + tax/fees. I can cover that without financing, if I choose to, but with interest rates creeping up it may not make much sense to pay for it at today's money vs tomorrow's money. Shame I wasn't in this position a couple years ago when things were cheaper and still easier to get, but I'm just happy to be there now.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen (and/or ladies and/or undecided) Once again, thanks for everything but I'll be moving on. I've elected to go with the Power Wagon. After driving a new one it just instantly felt right to me. While not as sporty as the Raptor, of course, it is more geared toward the offroad use I'm more likely to do and the longer bed and higher payload gives me more options on "trucky" things. On road, the seating position and view can only be described as commanding. I'm take my lumps from the Ford diehards, but at least it's not a Prius, right? RIGHT?

Seriously, thanks for all the information. You guys have a great forum.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you dare give up and settle for a RAM. You know you want the Raptor. Make it happen. I see 14 within 500 miles of Chicago that are less than 60K with less than 40K miles.

Well it happened. I missed out on a couple used ones because work was nuts and I couldn't get away. I attempted to order a 2023 on Monday but the order banks were closed already and won't reopen until maybe next month some time, then a minimum expected wait of 6-9 months. My search pinged a 2021 75th Anniversary edition with right at 8k miles near me, optioned with everything I was ordering and a little more. I offered them a price I didn't expect them to bite on and they pulled the rug out from under me by taking it. Biggest check I've written for something that doesn't come with a foundation or survey lines, I cried just a little, but on the drive home the wallet cramping relaxed and I felt pretty good about it.

2023PW.jpg

Not a Raptor, and I fully accept any ration o' poo that anybody wants to throw my way, but at least it's not a Prius, right? RIGHT? I've got to ditch those step bars for rock rails and get a bed cover, but otherwise it's ready to go. I'll go to 35" tires once the OEM 33" wear out.

The reason I went with the PW over the Raptor, in case anyone is mulling over a similar conundrum:

1) There's little in the way of high speed offroading near me. If I lived in the southwest, I'd likely have chosen differently. Offroading here is slow and often tight (giggity). I'm enthralled with the factory winch and disconnecting sway bar for the types of offroading I can actually do. Example, already making plans with a friend to do the KAT and Daniel Boone Bypass next Spring.
2) 6'4" bed. I still sometimes do truck stuff and the bigger bed comes in handy sometimes.
3) Interior, it just looks and feels better compared to the Gen 2 Raptor, and given the scarcity of Gen 3s I didn't seriously consider it.
4) Completely subjective, but it feels more like a truck. This is an emotional response more than a logical one, and I own that. It reminds me of my granddad's mid-70's Ford Highboy. It's a solid axle front, higher ride height, built to work or play, and you feel like King of the Hillbillies driving it. I just felt "right" driving it, whereas the Raptor I felt like I was trying to make myself like it more than I did. I find the PW more satisfying to drive as a result. It just suits me better.
5) The Hemi 6.4/8Ais smooth as silk and sounds pretty nice. Again, completely subjective, but I like the feel better than the 3.5EB/10A.

The Raptor certainly had it's own appeal, and I am not saying one is right and the other wrong. It just wasn't for me at the end of the day. I still like the forum, so if I'm not banished as an infidel I may still check in on occasion and maybe post some off-roady style pics so Bunman doesn't completely monopolize the genre. :D