Thank you to everyone for all the information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both options will have LED headlights. I know a big factor for me is value retention. A tremor will depreciate heavily like any standard F150 I imagine. A raptor will hold its value much better in the long run. I have had several raptors and several other trucks and there is no comparison in depreciation from my experience. I trade pretty often so that is a big factor for me, but if you keep trucks for several years it wont matter to you as much. I love my raptor but a tremor is a nice truck as well. As for off-roading both are good options if the trail is wide enough. I doubt the raptor width would make a difference seeing how if something is that narrow you most likely wouldn't want to take a new truck down it anyways. I will say the new interiors are a lot nicer than the gen 2. If it were me I would compare the gen 3 raptor to the tremor and decide. If you're patient and can order a gen 3 at msrp the prices aren't too far apart. I have seen a few tremor owners mention regret for not getting a raptor but I haven't seen raptor owners wishing they got the tremor. Just my two cents and both are super nice no doubt. If you get a tremor level it for sure. They have a serious nose dive look from the factory for some reason.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both options will have LED headlights. I know a big factor for me is value retention. A tremor will depreciate heavily like any standard F150 I imagine. A raptor will hold its value much better in the long run. I have had several raptors and several other trucks and there is no comparison in depreciation from my experience. I trade pretty often so that is a big factor for me, but if you keep trucks for several years it wont matter to you as much. I love my raptor but a tremor is a nice truck as well. As for off-roading both are good options if the trail is wide enough. I doubt the raptor width would make a difference seeing how if something is that narrow you most likely wouldn't want to take a new truck down it anyways. I will say the new interiors are a lot nicer than the gen 2. If it were me I would compare the gen 3 raptor to the tremor and decide. If you're patient and can order a gen 3 at msrp the prices aren't too far apart. I have seen a few tremor owners mention regret for not getting a raptor but I haven't seen raptor owners wishing they got the tremor. Just my two cents and both are super nice no doubt. If you get a tremor level it for sure. They have a serious nose dive look from the factory for some reason.

LED headlights, yes, but some are reflector and some are projector. The Tremor top package has the projectors that move a bit as you steer. The middle has the reflector LEDs.

I hear you on the resale, but I keep mine long term. If I thought the Ranger Raptor would be available soon, I'd wait for that as I think it'd be pretty ideal for me. At least on paper, given I obviously haven't gotten to test drive one yet. I honestly don't need a full size any longer and the Ranger is as big as the 70's truck I grew up with, footprint wise.

The nose dive is aesthetically challenged for sure. I plan to do a rear winch kit, so the weight may help a little. I don't want to do the intercooler relocation and deal with the extra weight out ahead of the front axle for a front winch, and since I'm likely to be alone wenching myself back out of something vs further into something seems like maybe the better plan.

It is a difficult decision, but I think it's one with only good choices. I'm just happy to be in the position that this is the sort of problem I'm faced with.

And, again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and feedback. It is helpful and I like seeing the different viewpoints, though of course I know the final decision is on me.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LED headlights, yes, but some are reflector and some are projector. The Tremor top package has the projectors that move a bit as you steer. The middle has the reflector LEDs.

I hear you on the resale, but I keep mine long term. If I thought the Ranger Raptor would be available soon, I'd wait for that as I think it'd be pretty ideal for me. At least on paper, given I obviously haven't gotten to test drive one yet. I honestly don't need a full size any longer and the Ranger is as big as the 70's truck I grew up with, footprint wise.

The nose dive is aesthetically challenged for sure. I plan to do a rear winch kit, so the weight may help a little. I don't want to do the intercooler relocation and deal with the extra weight out ahead of the front axle for a front winch, and since I'm likely to be alone wenching myself back out of something vs further into something seems like maybe the better plan.

It is a difficult decision, but I think it's one with only good choices. I'm just happy to be in the position that this is the sort of problem I'm faced with.

And, again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and feedback. It is helpful and I like seeing the different viewpoints, though of course I know the final decision is on me.
The raptor ranger will be a cool truck. I think the ranger will be a little beast trail riding for sure. I have a friend with a fx4 ranger lariat that he has built as an overlanding rig. I have to admit I like it quite a bit.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently communicating with a dealer on a 2019 that's a potential buy for me. It has the cam phaser issue and they are replacing all the associated hardware at the moment. I'm not sure if it'll be a Ford Certified or not once they are done, but they said they'd get back with me later this week once it's out of the shop and prepped. It's not close enough to just pop over and test drive, but an easy puddle jumper flight there and drive home sort of distance. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll post it up for anyone else who may be interested if that's allowed. I have no connection to the truck or dealership.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the details of the potential new truck?

Race Red 2019 802a with the options I care about, a touch under 45,000 miles which is a little more than I was looking for but acceptable if the final price reflects it. Glamour shots look good, but I'm waiting for some more detailed photos including the underside. Not sure if the shocks have been rebuilt, one of the questions I'm asking, if not I'll try to get that done before I pick it up since my understanding is 50k is the recommended max interval.

Carfax is a little confusing, as it shows it as a 1 owner but it's been titled twice. I *think* it was a dealer truck for a year and a half or so and was then sold as a certified used. I've got a list of questions that still need to be addressed before getting too invested.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
ok, Pics by Monday, or you earn a provisional prius pic.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, Pics by Monday, or you earn a provisional prius pic.

They don't expect it out of the shop until late this week. Maybe pics they send me, but no way I take delivery by then. I'll need to arrange a few days off and fly out to pick it up if we work a deal. Or have it delivered if that's an option and makes sense, I guess. Either way, you've set an unrealistic goal. ;) I can post pics of my current non-Priusmobiles if you'd like.

OP
OP
CruiserClass

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Waiting on parts, let you know status Monday" is the last email I got from them. Here's the truck:

I just got a 30 day notice from my tenant, and I'm going to put that house up for sale while the market is still reasonably strong. I think I'll put the truck search on hold until that's done and then see if I want to add that cash infusion into the purchase or not. That'd make it pretty comfortable for me to get a lower trim new one, but I'll probably stick with an upper trim slightly used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free