Texas Overland Trail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m more interested in the Johnson City BBQ Tour and the Fredericksburg Bakery Tour ;)
Count me in. Though in truth, and I don’t mean to show my east coast roots, and I’m a huge foodie, love to eat, I’ve never been a big fan of BBQ places and I’ve been to a few. I love to cook and am pretty good at it. When I cook a steak, for instance, prime only, I like it medium rare. Ribs are off the grill in 20-25 minutes with slightly pink center and you have to chew the meat off the bone.

I just never got or understood cooking meat for hours and hours. I don’t like rib meat that is so cooked it falls off the bone. I like to work for my food. Lol.
and I’m smiling like a butcher‘s dog the entire time.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve never been a big fan of BBQ places and I’ve been to a few. I love to cook and am pretty good at it. When I cook a steak, for instance, prime only, I like it medium rare.
Then you haven’t found the right one !
Ribs are off the grill in 20-25 minutes with slightly pink center and you have to chew the meat off the bone.
200.gif
You would be expelled from Texas for saying that. It’s in the top 10 for sure.
You never talk smack about George Strait, ZZTop, long cooked brisket or ribs, and a few other things. Like you, after a pretty long stint on the (L)east coast, trust me when I tell you the BBQ there - due respect to you Carolinians, is nothing at all like Texas. I have never had properly done, TX style brisket anywhere east. Ribs, I definitely had some really good expressions and pork, for sure.

I just never got or understood cooking meat for hours and hours. I don’t like rib meat that is so cooked it falls off the bone. I like to work for my food. Lol.

I have enough time consuming hobbies and smoking brisket, quoting Joe Biden, is a pretty big fücking deal. By the time you’ve trimmed, and cooked, you get about a third of what you started with, but, if you did it right, the reward is outstanding brisket. Ribs are another that if done properly, with plenty of smoke, low and slow, you get truly great food. But that’s another most of the day event. I’ve got enough of that brewing beer, which consumes a solid 8 hours excepting the clean up.

Spriley

Reaction score
Do you know if that is also known as The Texas Hill Country Tour? Our part of it? I started doing some of the few TX trails but so far only in East TX. Like you said they’re not tech difficult, but there is some cool scenery and dirt under your tires. Next up for me is TX Traverse Section 2. Starts near Huntsville and ends near Cleburne.
I just moved to Godley, pretty close to Cleburne. I'm gonna have to check this out!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Count me in. Though in truth, and I don’t mean to show my east coast roots, and I’m a huge foodie, love to eat, I’ve never been a big fan of BBQ places and I’ve been to a few. I love to cook and am pretty good at it. When I cook a steak, for instance, prime only, I like it medium rare. Ribs are off the grill in 20-25 minutes with slightly pink center and you have to chew the meat off the bone.

My neighbor cooks venison in the microwave. True story. Y'all should start a cooking show. :p

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried venison once. Is was ok. I wouldn’t say it ranked on my hit parade. Also recently ate moose at my daughter’s home in Idaho which her husband got hunting. It too was ok. Kinda like a lot of women I was with. I did ‘em once but wouldn’t make a habit of it.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I tried venison once. Is was ok. I wouldn’t say it ranked on my hit parade. Also recently ate moose at my daughter’s home in Idaho which her husband got hunting. It too was ok. Kinda like a lot of women I was with. I did ‘em once but wouldn’t make a habit of it.
Agreed on that. I quit hunting deer several years ago when I decided I never actually liked the taste. lol

If it was so great they would sell it at fast food joints.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed on that. I quit hunting deer several years ago when I decided I never actually liked the taste. lol

If it was so great they would sell it at fast food joints.
Well, I think what they sell in fast food joints is sometimes a mystery. lol

One time many years back buddies and I were having late night meal in NYC’s Chinatown. Ordered, among other things, orange beef. Took one look and knew it wasn’t. I had a feeling it was either the alley cat, the rat it tried to catch, or both. They removed it from the table and we removed ourselves from the dump.