Test drive not allowed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll see what happens tomorrow when I go back. This dealership is the closest to my house. While I may not buy from them, I’d probably get my service done there. I think it was just the salesgirl I was dealing with. She had a hard time believing that I’d have to order the raptor direct to get one without the moonroof.

I did test the King Ranch while I was there and liked the park assist function for parallel parking. Does the raptor have that feature? It’s not a big deal if it doesn’t, but it would help the wife park if I’m ever unable for whatever reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why you would havee to order direct to get one without the moonroof either. Maybe I got lucky. Mine was built exactly how I wanted and just arrived the day I got there. It had everything but the moonroof and the front hood stickers.... and the Beadlocks, but I took care of that and saved a grand in the process thanks to a member of the forum.

Green Goblin

Reaction score
I’ll see what happens tomorrow when I go back. This dealership is the closest to my house. While I may not buy from them, I’d probably get my service done there. I think it was just the salesgirl I was dealing with. She had a hard time believing that I’d have to order the raptor direct to get one without the moonroof.

I did test the King Ranch while I was there and liked the park assist function for parallel parking. Does the raptor have that feature? It’s not a big deal if it doesn’t, but it would help the wife park if I’m ever unable for whatever reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed you were form Texas. It's not Grapevine Ford is it? They tried to pull that crap with me. I bought elsewhere.

OP
OP
L

Lacajun25

Reaction score
It’s not a matter of being thin skinned. It’s a matter of not dropping $75k on a car without driving it. I took multiple test drives from different dealers before buying. I knew I wanted a Raptor based on what it was, how it looked, and what I had read and seen, but if I drove it and thought it was gutless, or didn’t like the size, or the feel, or the ride, or the brakes, or....

Obviously you can’t get the same feel for a car with a test drive as you can get from ownership and daily driving experience, but you certainly do get information you would not otherwise have from a test drive. I don’t give a crap whether the dealer likes it or not. No test drive, no deal. Full stop.

^ This about sums up why I wanted to test drive the raptor. I've done a lot of reading on these forums and while it's been helpful in cementing my desire to get the raptor, the fact that I'd never been in one other than at the TX state fair, meant that I needed to test drive it before any purchase.

I will say that I've gone to test drive the Q7at the audi dealership and they just tossed me the keys and said bring it back when you're done. It definitely made an impression even though I eventually bought an acura.

@zombiekiller I'll send you a pm in a bit since I am in the Dallas and would like to know of good dealerships to visit.

I ended up going back and did get to test drive a 19 screw. It was everything I expected and not as well. I felt like I rode higher than the King Ranch which was luxurious feeling and car like with its suspension. The Raptor was definitely beefier and tougher both in looks and ride quality. The truck felt like a tense leashed up pitbull ready to bite your head off. I felt the potholes and bad Dallas streets but not in a bad way. More of knowing that they were there. I was expecting a Tempurpedic experience of not feeling it when another person moves on or off a bed. Not sure what mode I was in or if it would've made a difference. I came away from it wanting to truly take it off road.

After the drive around the block (about a mile) I chatted up the salesgirl (same as yesterday) and told her what I was looking for and what I didn't want, as well as what I was willing to pay. I told her I was inclined to just order the raptor from one of the dealers willing to do it for invoice. After a little bit of back and forth, she offered one of her stock raptors at invoice + TTL. The tough part for me is if I want to get things like the graphics or the moonroof (which I don't really care for). I ended up walking away since I wanted to consider my options as well as figure out if I want the new vehicle and pay the "premium" or if I want to go the used route.

I appreciate the feedback y'all given me. It's always interesting to hear what others have experienced. It's like my dad use to say, you either learn from other's experience or you have to go through it yourself.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
^ This about sums up why I wanted to test drive the raptor. I've done a lot of reading on these forums and while it's been helpful in cementing my desire to get the raptor, the fact that I'd never been in one other than at the TX state fair, meant that I needed to test drive it before any purchase.

I will say that I've gone to test drive the Q7at the audi dealership and they just tossed me the keys and said bring it back when you're done. It definitely made an impression even though I eventually bought an acura.

@zombiekiller I'll send you a pm in a bit since I am in the Dallas and would like to know of good dealerships to visit.

I ended up going back and did get to test drive a 19 screw. It was everything I expected and not as well. I felt like I rode higher than the King Ranch which was luxurious feeling and car like with its suspension. The Raptor was definitely beefier and tougher both in looks and ride quality. The truck felt like a tense leashed up pitbull ready to bite your head off. I felt the potholes and bad Dallas streets but not in a bad way. More of knowing that they were there. I was expecting a Tempurpedic experience of not feeling it when another person moves on or off a bed. Not sure what mode I was in or if it would've made a difference. I came away from it wanting to truly take it off road.

After the drive around the block (about a mile) I chatted up the salesgirl (same as yesterday) and told her what I was looking for and what I didn't want, as well as what I was willing to pay. I told her I was inclined to just order the raptor from one of the dealers willing to do it for invoice. After a little bit of back and forth, she offered one of her stock raptors at invoice + TTL. The tough part for me is if I want to get things like the graphics or the moonroof (which I don't really care for). I ended up walking away since I wanted to consider my options as well as figure out if I want the new vehicle and pay the "premium" or if I want to go the used route.

I appreciate the feedback y'all given me. It's always interesting to hear what others have experienced. It's like my dad use to say, you either learn from other's experience or you have to go through it yourself.

depending on what the tire pressure was set at, dropping it down to what most folks run ( 34/32) turns the ride isnt what you were expecting.

full-on drive-through-anything-and-not-feel-it raptors generally include quite a bit of aftermarket suspension work.

once you drive a raptor for a week, then get into a regular f-150, all becomes clear.

my raptor spoiled me so badly that I pulled the trigger on a carli kit for my superduty because the way the SD takes bumps on stock suspension makes me grumpy now that Ive used to my raptor.

TMX has a relationship with some of the autonation dealerships in texas. they seem to be pretty good. i can point you towards specific dealers/people if youd like.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was this. no dobt
I think your response about not looking rich enough to make the purchase is probably correct, but that is total BS. What I find interesting is that a lot of people that look like they can afford something are actually in more debt than they know what to do with and those who are not dressing the part are often in a much better position to buy the car. Hold your own and insist on a test drive assuming you are a serious buyer with the intentions to do such.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think your response about not looking rich enough to make the purchase is probably correct, but that is total BS. What I find interesting is that a lot of people that look like they can afford something are actually in more debt than they know what to do with and those who are not dressing the part are often in a much better position to buy the car. Hold your own and insist on a test drive assuming you are a serious buyer with the intentions to do such.

I agree, it is total BS. Good sales people will know to not judge an "up" by their looks.

That being said..... When I buy a car, I usually am dressed nice for work. When I bought my Raptor, I drove up in my Clean Audi SQ5, so the salesmen knew I was not just out for a joy ride. He went with me, but let me drive for as long as I wanted.

When making the deal, I informed him I was also buying my wife a new Explorer Sport that night, I gave him the stock #, and he was gonna let me drive it alone, but i didnt need to. We were trading in a 2014 Explorer Sport.

Point is, looks and manners convey the amount of respect you will get back. Right or wrong...it happens.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a matter of being thin skinned. It’s a matter of not dropping $75k on a car without driving it. I took multiple test drives from different dealers before buying. I knew I wanted a Raptor based on what it was, how it looked, and what I had read and seen, but if I drove it and thought it was gutless, or didn’t like the size, or the feel, or the ride, or the brakes, or....

Obviously you can’t get the same feel for a car with a test drive as you can get from ownership and daily driving experience, but you certainly do get information you would not otherwise have from a test drive. I don’t give a crap whether the dealer likes it or not. No test drive, no deal. Full stop.

Your the same person that would whine because the Raptor they want to buy has too many miles on it. Same person who would try to negotiate down the price cause too many people drove it. Dealers that want to preserve test rides for serious buyers are doing a favor to the people that buy their product. Get over yourself. Nobody said you couldn't test drive it after you negotiate a deal which is very reasonable. You still get to decide based the outcome of your drive but the dealer isn't faced with every will nilly person who wants to drive a Raptor putting miles on something they don't buy.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your the same person that would whine because the Raptor they want to buy has too many miles on it. Same person who would try to negotiate down the price cause too many people drove it. Dealers that want to preserve test rides for serious buyers are doing a favor to the people that buy their product. Get over yourself. Nobody said you couldn't test drive it after you negotiate a deal which is very reasonable. You still get to decide based the outcome of your drive but the dealer isn't faced with every will nilly person who wants to drive a Raptor putting miles on something they don't buy.

Your posts seem to be consistently hostile. Take a pill or something. And you know next to nothing about me.

Joe12345

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2016 Corvette I wasn’t allowed to test drive it. The dealership wanted the cars to be sold with the absolute minimum miles, because the car required a very specific break in procedure in order to keep the powertrain warranty intact. So my car, like all of the others on the lot only had the original 12 miles put on it at the factory.

Frustrating yes, but knowing that no one else was allowed to beat on the car just because they wanted to drive one without buying gave me some piece of mind. You’re either serious enough about buying that this doesn’t matter to you, or you’re just a tire kicker.