Test drive not allowed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lacajun25

Reaction score
I had a few hours to kill between appointments today, so I stopped at the nearby Ford dealership to test drive a Raptor. I was hoping to compare a 2019/2020 with a used 18 or gen 1. Well, they had plenty of 19s but told me that they don’t do test drives of the Raptors because of they are Performance vehicles. Has this ever happened to you? My first thought was, how do you sell any if you don’t test drive them. They did let me sit in one to see how my butt fit and if I liked the trim compared to the King Ranch.

Shell shocked, I asked if they had a used one I could test drive. Turns out, the used one they had was being demo by the GM who wasn’t in yet.

I left with an appointment to come back the next day to test the used raptor.

Maybe I was profiled as not worthy for the test drive; clothes not nice enough, my age, nationality... who knows. It was probably because I pulled into the dealership in my Prius [emoji23]

Oh well, probably not buying from them as I’ll shop around via email and negotiate with several to order what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelo1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s BS! I have test driven 200k+ cars. Just needed to provide license and solid insurance coverage. I wound not buy from them and make sure to leave crappy review of them on Yelp and Google.

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happen to me wouldn’t let me test drive. Needless to say took my business elsewhere

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a few hours to kill between appointments today, so I stopped at the nearby Ford dealership to test drive a Raptor. I was hoping to compare a 2019/2020 with a used 18 or gen 1. Well, they had plenty of 19s but told me that they don’t do test drives of the Raptors because of they are Performance vehicles. Has this ever happened to you? My first thought was, how do you sell any if you don’t test drive them. They did let me sit in one to see how my butt fit and if I liked the trim compared to the King Ranch.

Shell shocked, I asked if they had a used one I could test drive. Turns out, the used one they had was being demo by the GM who wasn’t in yet.

I left with an appointment to come back the next day to test the used raptor.

Maybe I was profiled as not worthy for the test drive; clothes not nice enough, my age, nationality... who knows. It was probably because I pulled into the dealership in my Prius [emoji23]

Oh well, probably not buying from them as I’ll shop around via email and negotiate with several to order what I want.

[email protected] I ordered from ford dealer In Kansas 2020 invoice price. Travis Godfrey he was awesome got his email from guys on here he was the best price and free drop ship to a dealership in your area. Better yet order from him and have it shipped to the dealership that treated you like that that would be awesome lol.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total BS. I have test driven cars more expensive than the Raptor too. One time, a BMW dealer told me they don't allow test drives on M3's. I spun around immediately and started walking out, saying, "well that's totally asinine...you must only sell to chumps. I'll take my business elsewhere." They immediately changed their mind and offered me a test drive. I still took my business elsewhere...and ordered an M3.

I do think it is somewhat common for dealers to take this attitude with the higher end performance cars. How you respond determines the result. They will let you test drive it, but you have to put them in their place.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It was probably because I pulled into the dealership in my Prius emoji23.png

well... To be fair, if you showed up in typical prius owner attire, and bearing the typical prius owner odor, I wouldn’t let you in a Fiesta, much less a Raptor. The shop would spend hours washing out the smug(™)

Test drives were next to impossible when the Gen2 was released into the wild for the first ... 5 or 6 months(?) I’d already put a deposit down, but yeah I drove before I signed a thing. at the end of the drive I deadpanned to the saleslady: “I didn’t really like it as much as I thought. Do you have a super duty laying around?”
I wasn’t good enough because she knew I was BS’ing her. Because I was driving like i was 16 and stole my Dad’s truck. Even my wife scolded me for driving like a Juvenile.

So I can understand their reticence. OTOH, I was going to buy a Raptor from someone. My stealership turned out to be a good one in many regards.

I thought we were past rationing of Raptor test drives. who knew?

OP
OP
L

Lacajun25

Reaction score
I’ll see what happens tomorrow when I go back. This dealership is the closest to my house. While I may not buy from them, I’d probably get my service done there. I think it was just the salesgirl I was dealing with. She had a hard time believing that I’d have to order the raptor direct to get one without the moonroof.

I did test the King Ranch while I was there and liked the park assist function for parallel parking. Does the raptor have that feature? It’s not a big deal if it doesn’t, but it would help the wife park if I’m ever unable for whatever reason