GEN 2 Tesla Style Android Radios - 14.5 inch Screens, Octacore, QHD and FHD and 128GB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice you have the OEM buttons lights flashing (when ON) under your sreen, is it a problem video resolution, or are they really flashing, and if it is, why...

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on the 12.1 v 14.4" screen, decent difference in price and 12.1 looks like it fits smoothly in dash

also, how does it stream Netflix, YouTube, etc.....is it off of your phones wifi hotspot?

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice you have the OEM buttons lights flashing (when ON) under your sreen, is it a problem video resolution, or are they really flashing, and if it is, why...
It's the refresh rate of the camera. Lights are good.

what are your thoughts on the 12.1 v 14.4" screen, decent difference in price and 12.1 looks like it fits smoothly in dash

also, how does it stream Netflix, YouTube, etc.....is it off of your phones wifi hotspot?
The 14.4 looks like more a stock fit to me. I'm also used to my wife's explorer w the 10" screen, so I liked it poking out the dash.

If i ever watch videos, I'll connect to my mobile hotspot.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried to re-create the camera scenario. The camera screen would not pop up before the unit finished loading.

However once screen popped up, it processed apps as soon as I touched the icon.

I will add, my typical boot times have been a tad quicker then that video. Usually by time the chimes stop and I'm buckled up, the screen is ready.

That's good to hear. One of the annoyance I have with the PX6 unit is that when I often need the rear view camera, it's not yet available yet.

Bringing up apps is often an issue. It can be up to a minute before Amazon music, or whatever app I use, is ready to play music. If it's a short trip a mile away, it's not even worth trying to play anything...which defeats the point entirely.

I wish these android units would find a way to avoid bootup entirely. Obviously, you don't want to drain the battery, but it would be nice if you could add your own backup battery that keeps the unit in standby mode when not running, or something of that nature.

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score

I have had both the 12.1 and 14.4 and I have to say the 14.4 looks amazing. The fit is perfect and the higher top of screen that pokes out a bit looks fine even though it is about 1 inch above the original radio screen placement.

The resolution is much better and the ability to run Backcountry Navigation Pro, Gaia and other off-roads apps is majorly improved. You just have more screen real-estate and so you can do PIP navigation with movie or music running on the main screen or split screen.

As for streaming content, I use my Samsung S22 Hotspot and Amazon Prime, Youtube, and others apps rapidly load and stream effortlessly. I am running 4G LTE in may area, but I am sure it is faster in big cities.

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
do you retain your original LTE hotspot in the truck? (I use mine as kids sometimes bring iPads for long rides)
I did not retain my original LTE hotspot, but it would be advantageous to keep it, in that when doing wireless Android Auto and Carplay you cannot run your phone hotspot while app is running on the same phone.

The unit does have 4g LTE capability, but it is GSM only and therefore will not work with Verizon. AT&T and some of the other cell phone companies use GSM and so if you want to run the radio like a tablet connected with cellular network, consult your courier first.

Last edited:

JerseyMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not retain my original LTE hotspot, but it would be advantageous to keep it, in that when doing wireless Android Auto and Carplay you cannot run your phone hotspot while app is running on the same phone.

The unit does have 4g LTE capability, but it is GSM only and therefore will not work with Verizon. AT&T and some of the other cell phone companies use GSM and so if you want to run the radio like a tablet connected with cellular network, consult your courier first.
Did you have the option to retain the stock LTE hotspot?

briggs9947

Reaction score

Kev,

Did you lose any functions at all with the vehicle? I have heard some of these radios you lose the option to switch terrain modes.