GEN 2 Tesla Style Android Radios - 14.5 inch Screens, Octacore, QHD and FHD and 128GB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning!

I put the 4g antennas on each side of the dash, but if you are not using a sim card to get 4G LTE on your unit, it may be another step you can skip. Not sure how well antennas would work in center of truck. If you are using a 4G LTE dedicated sim card for the Autotec unit, the unit comes with another wired connection with a blue plug on one end and a black sim slot on the other. Just plug it in and put it the glove compartment so it is ready if you ever decide to use a sim card.

I just use my phone hotspot, but may try sim card if I can get more signal in the back country. I will stop by the Verizon store in the next few days and see if can test the sim card configuration. I may re-subscribe to Ford Pass AT&T. I was very pleased with how well AT&T did in remote locations, but I also use Verizon because I get good reception in remote locations.

As for mic, not sure if the factory f150 mic is picking up my voice or the unit mic that is on the front left side is. Either way, it is excellent.

I am not sure what the center speaker does. So far I cannot detect any sound coming out of it. Not hurting anything so it just sits behind the unit plugged in. Probably not required.

I deduced that the unit is using Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 Octa core QCM6125. I believe this is CPU is capable of 4k resolution, but I think the APPver: is holding it back. The screen may be QHD capable, but I still need to contact Autotec to get more info.

The GPS signal is amazing! The unit is picking up both GPS and Glonass, so it is accurate and fast.
Does the GPS antenna work w Google maps or just the proprietary navigation?

Have you tried wired android auto? Is it full screen?

My unit was supposed to show up yesterday as well, got pushed to today. I hope to install this weekend!

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
The GPS antenna supplied with the unit works with all my navigation apps including google maps. I actually set google maps as my main navigation tool and uninstalled their app.

I have not tried Android Auto yet. Will try in the next few days. Android Auto also works wireless according to Charlotte at Autotec.

I can't wait until you get your unit installed, then we exchange solutions!

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
Today I was able to get wireless Android Auto to work. It is very simple and is basically the same as connecting Carplay using the same app that Autotec shows you on their tutorial. Most important thing is to be sure the hotspot is turned off and to bluetooth your phone to the Autotec unit. It triggers the app and you just connect via Android Auto button. The Android Auto screen looks awesome on the big screen. The problem I had was getting out of Aundroid Auto and back to my Phone Hotspot to use youtube and other apps. I think it is because most phones don't have dual transmitters to send both a BT signal and wifi signal at the same time while using hotspot (I have a Samsung S22). I had to turn on hotspot, turnoff BT and reconnect through the Android wifi connection setup screen after reboot. If you have Ford Pass AT&T or some type of network device not connected to your phone this may not be a problem.

As for the using a SIM card, I went to the Verizon store and the rep said the system is not compatible with Verizon, but might work with AT&T because it is GSM. Not sure how that works.

As for screen resolution, I downloaded an app called "Pixels: Resolution+DPI Changer" and the native resolution came up 1200x1920. I tried changing the resolution and it would not allow for the change without changing some programming/software deep level changes. The resolution was different than 1440x2560 when I tried to push it. It was 1440x2304. Anyway, I stopped at that point because I didn't want brick the unit with deep level programing changes.

All and all I am very pleased with the unit, but disappointed in that QHD is not the native resolution setup on the screen that I purchased. Most people cannot see the difference, but knowing that I am not in QHD %#$@#!! me off. Had I gone with a retailer in the Chinese Aliexpress it may have been much worse in that I would get no tutorials and documents and the shipping time would be longer due to the holiday and distance, plus tariff and other complications may have made it a worse experience. In addition, I am now convinced the technology and options that come with this unit are far better than what you get with the Yulu unit and at a better price.

Maybe I am wrong on purchasing from Autotec and "nikhsub1" can chime in on this with his experience if he buys from Aliexpress.:D

Attachments

• 20230126_192755 1.jpg
    20230126_192755 1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230126_200303 1.jpg
    20230126_200303 1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230126_200515 1.jpg
    20230126_200515 1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
Any screen glare issues?
I haven't removed the protective packing plastic from the screen. LOL

With the protective plastic on it looks good when driving around during the day and is very clear at night. I always run the screen in dark mode because I am not a fan of a lot of ambient light. You can see in the photos above the glare, but your position of view while driving or as a passenger is offset and the IPS screen helps. I think that is well illustrated in my pictures before the last ones because I am shooting at an angle rather than straight on. I haven't felt the need to get the anti-glare or matte screen protector.

I think the overall screen material is the same on all these units, whether it be Yulu, Viknav or this one.

I don't use polarized sun glasses, so I couldn't test that.:cool:

Attachments

• 20230126_200515 1.jpg
    20230126_200515 1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Info.jpg
    Screen Info.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Vik26066

Reaction score
Just called Autotec to see if my unit has shipped (Placed order three days ago and paid for expedited shipping). Lady on phone says it hasn't shipped because they don't have the units in stock and it will ship from their Hong Kong warehouse smh. I told her the main reason why I ordered from them and paid the $300 to $400 premium compared to Aliexpress was because it ships from Canada and not China!!!

She tried convincing me it will come quick...... my ass!! Anything I ordered from China even with fast shipping, takes a Month to get.

I'm gonna start importing these things myself and selling them lol

Rant over.

Reaction score
My Autotech unit was shipped from Hong Kong - It didn’t ship immediately when I ordered at Xmas but it took a total of two weeks from Order to my door - DHL service - l did not order with quick shipping.