GEN 2 Tesla Style Android Radios - 14.5 inch Screens, Octacore, QHD and FHD and 128GB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Regarding how long it too to receive the unit from auto tech, about 2 weeks. It was over the Xmas holidays so that could have played a roll in the speed. I also Ordered a VIKINAV unit from Ali and it came faster. The VIKINAV is supposed to be Android 12 but the package was identical to Autotech’s stating Android 11. I asked the seller what was going on, he said Android 11 is the newest, I tried to call him out and just get the canned response that it’s a good unit and try it. I have it, maybe I’ll take some time when I actually have time to compare - they look identical down to the sticker part number, so not sure if the screen res is different. Hope you get yours soon. Chinese New Year is another’s and that will slow things down.

Julian Rivera

Reaction score
I really don't mean to incite but I don't understand the big screen installs. What features are you trying to gain?
I'm either looking at what song is playing, maps if I don't know where I'm going, but mostly the road

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really don't mean to incite but I don't understand the big screen installs. What features are you trying to gain?
I'm either looking at what song is playing, maps if I don't know where I'm going, but mostly the road
Full screen waze, youtube while driving or tv it’s limitless what you can do, plus all stock sync 3 functions.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regarding how long it too to receive the unit from auto tech, about 2 weeks. It was over the Xmas holidays so that could have played a roll in the speed. I also Ordered a VIKINAV unit from Ali and it came faster. The VIKINAV is supposed to be Android 12 but the package was identical to Autotech’s stating Android 11. I asked the seller what was going on, he said Android 11 is the newest, I tried to call him out and just get the canned response that it’s a good unit and try it. I have it, maybe I’ll take some time when I actually have time to compare - they look identical down to the sticker part number, so not sure if the screen res is different. Hope you get yours soon. Chinese New Year is another’s and that will slow things down.
So it seems these units are identical so far - maybe the resolution is different, but I'm thinking not since you say both part numbers are the same etc. Is there an android app that detects resolution?

Vik26066

Reaction score
So it seems these units are identical so far - maybe the resolution is different, but I'm thinking not since you say both part numbers are the same etc. Is there an android app that detects resolution?

I was about to order the screen from VIKINAV on aliexpress but their listings are confusing and they are really not helping when you message them. They have multiple 14.5 screens that looks identical to the autotec one but they are all different prices. I don't see what the difference is but when I asked if the unit has Android 12 like the listing said, the seller said it has Android 11. Also he didn't answer the question why they are priced different, he just said "this one Chinese New Year discount"....why aren't the other units on sale too then lol

I think I will give autotec a call tomorrow and probably go with them.

Only downside with Autotec is that they charge Canada Sales tax even for US customers which I don't think is correct...

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
I was about to order the screen from VIKINAV on aliexpress but their listings are confusing and they are really not helping when you message them. They have multiple 14.5 screens that looks identical to the autotec one but they are all different prices. I don't see what the difference is but when I asked if the unit has Android 12 like the listing said, the seller said it has Android 11. Also he didn't answer the question why they are priced different, he just said "this one Chinese New Year discount"....why aren't the other units on sale too then lol

I think I will give autotec a call tomorrow and probably go with them.

Only downside with Autotec is that they charge Canada Sales tax even for US customers which I don't think is correct...
Good Morning. I am getting my Autotec unit today. It took about 10 days to get it and I was surprised that it was shipped directly from Canada. As for the payment, once I proceeded to purchase, I only paid the listed price of $1077.60 and $27.96 shipping to the Four Corners area near Durango Colorado (the Canadian tax was removed). When ordering items from overseas I have sometimes been hit with tariff/custom tax/fee after the fact, but I think Canada has a preferred trading status and they may not have the fee.

As for the VIKNAV and other listings on Aliexpress, I too was confused by pricing, description, shipping, Android version and so on. When I talked directly with Autotec, although the lady I talked to I think was a Chinese person living in Canada, her answers were concise and informative (I asked about wireless Android Auto, screen resolution and shipping) . In addition, the description on their web page entailed a lot more detail. Once I purchased the unit, Autotec sent me an e-mail with links to well done install and tutorial videos, as well as pdf versions of manuals and trouble-shooting guides (This far out did what I got when I bought my first PX3). I have shared the install and tutorial videos with the group.

As I install it and test it, I will let the group know of any shortcomings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree that Autotech is a very helpful and informative company and likely worth the price over the VIKNAN sellers. What I’m learning, a lot of the AliExpress sellers are not really working for the company but are more like resellers and are not that honest about their misleading advertising. I order from 4 different AliExpress sellers and twice they told me I needed to send more money for my model, I challenged them and then requested a refund prior to them shipping. I do have the unit from VIKNAV that was less expensive than Autotech, again, I’d spend more with Autotech knowing there’s support and good documentation provided.

I do hope we determine if Autotech has a QHD screen and the others do not. I guess I’ll be one person that could see if I-see a difference when looking a them. Problem is, I’ll need to install /uninstall/install to see if I feel there’s a difference.

One last comment, the installation video Autotech provides for this unit, the unit they show they’re installing is different in looks than the one they sent me. Wire harnesses and plugs on the physical unit are not similar. Perhaps a pre-production unit in their video. Should be interesting what others comment their’s look like compared to same.

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
I installed the Autotec Unit. It was a little more difficult than the older unit because it had 2 4G antennas. I did not install the microphone and google on the android responded to my request I think through the screen microphone.

Everything went well and I hotspot to my cell phone and Youtube, Google, Backcountry Navigation, Pandora, Trailforks and Garmin Connect loaded quickly and the screen looked nice.

The audio sounded much better than the original radio when using the Android DSP.

As for the video being cropped in VLC, this was resolved by just pressing the screen bracket icon and the movie played within the screen without cropping.

The icons on top were easy to customize and rearrange.

I haven't connected wireless Android Auto, but will be trying that in the next few days.

As for screen resolution the Android App version (APPver) stated that it was running in 1920 x 1200. I am not sure if this is software setting and later it can be adjusted to 2560 x 1440. That is very concerning and I may call Autotec to get more information.

With regard to bluetooth, I am having trouble connecting. I haven't been able to use my phone on the unit as of yet, but I think it is just my learning curve.

I am also trying to figure out how to do split screen. Haven't figured it out yet.

Overall I am very pleased and I hope in the next few days I will be able to resolve bluetooth, screen resolution issue and split screen. I know that I will probably rarely use the console and will not likely use Android Auto, because all of my apps are already on the radio (kinda pointless to have that redundancy when you can source it from the unit).

Attachments

• Screen Info.jpg
    Screen Info.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Video VLC.jpg
    Screen Video VLC.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Vik26066

Reaction score
I installed the Autotec Unit. It was a little more difficult than the older unit because it had 2 4G antennas. I did not install the microphone and google on the android responded to my request I think through the screen microphone.

Everything went well and I hotspot to my cell phone and Youtube, Google, Backcountry Navigation, Pandora, Trailforks and Garmin Connect loaded quickly and the screen looked nice.

The audio sounded much better than the original radio when using the Android DSP.

As for the video being cropped in VLC, this was resolved by just pressing the screen bracket icon and the movie played within the screen without cropping.

The icons on top were easy to customize and rearrange.

I haven't connected wireless Android Auto, but will be trying that in the next few days.

As for screen resolution the Android App version (APPver) stated that it was running in 1920 x 1200. I am not sure if this is software setting and later it can be adjusted to 2560 x 1440. That is very concerning and I may call Autotec to get more information.

With regard to bluetooth, I am having trouble connecting. I haven't been able to use my phone on the unit as of yet, but I think it is just my learning curve.

I am also trying to figure out how to do split screen. Haven't figured it out yet.

Overall I am very pleased and I hope in the next few days I will be able to resolve bluetooth, screen resolution issue and split screen. I know that I will probably rarely use the console and will not likely use Android Auto, because all of my apps are already on the radio (kinda pointless to have that redundancy when you can source it from the unit).
Looks Great!!

Did you have put the 4g antennas on the each side of the dash or did you just leave them behind the radio? I see you didn't use the mic, read somewhere that the factory f150 mic works with the unit. Also what about that speaker they supply, no idea what its for but I saw it on the install video.

OP
OP
Kev Gambrell

Kev Gambrell

Reaction score
Good Morning!

I put the 4g antennas on each side of the dash, but if you are not using a sim card to get 4G LTE on your unit, it may be another step you can skip. Not sure how well antennas would work in center of truck. If you are using a 4G LTE dedicated sim card for the Autotec unit, the unit comes with another wired connection with a blue plug on one end and a black sim slot on the other. Just plug it in and put it the glove compartment so it is ready if you ever decide to use a sim card.

I just use my phone hotspot, but may try sim card if I can get more signal in the back country. I will stop by the Verizon store in the next few days and see if can test the sim card configuration. I may re-subscribe to Ford Pass AT&T. I was very pleased with how well AT&T did in remote locations, but I also use Verizon because I get good reception in remote locations.

As for mic, not sure if the factory f150 mic is picking up my voice or the unit mic that is on the front left side is. Either way, it is excellent.

I am not sure what the center speaker does. So far I cannot detect any sound coming out of it. Not hurting anything so it just sits behind the unit plugged in. Probably not required.

I deduced that the unit is using Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 Octa core QCM6125. I believe this is CPU is capable of 4k resolution, but I think the APPver: is holding it back. The screen may be QHD capable, but I still need to contact Autotec to get more info.

The GPS signal is amazing! The unit is picking up both GPS and Glonass, so it is accurate and fast.

Last edited: