Terrible paint quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s that saying….. they don’t make ‘‘em like they used to??? SMH
People on boat forums complain all the time about buying a brand new boat and having issues with it. They say the same thing you did, “I shouldn’t have these issues with a $150k boat”. Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter what you spend, some of the these things still have minor issues. The important thing is, how does Ford or your dealer handle it.

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old 22R. Which was a new precedent for a japanese brand, yet was a joke compared to an American engine like the the AMC/Chrysler 4.2 which later became the 4.0. Never mind the GM 4.3 or Ford 4.9, which dragged the toyo junk backward while lasting decades longer.
Yeah that’s it.

Sorry pal was just making an observation since there was a lot of Toyota bashing going on. Didn’t mean to ruffle anyone’s sensitive feathers.

Every manufacturer’s have wins and fails. I’ve been with Porsche since 2002 and god have they had some complete terds. Thank god for the wins and passionate followers otherwise we would all be vying for the same product!

Honeybadger_Zero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to be a Product Engineer for ECOAT, aka Elctrodeposition, so I will step in here, since my product is what paints all frames and metal parts of most everything you own, including your dishwasher, washing machine, all farming equipment, square D boxes, harley frames, basically anything that metal is exposed to elements of nature. I can assure you the rust you are speaking of does not hurt anything. If you want to cover your entire car with actual paint (final coat) you wouldn’t be able to afford it. Plain and simple. Surface rust is common and not an issue.

When to be concerned is when it’s a thin metal, I.e. muffler, car body etc. For thick surfaces, it’s nothing. Car manufactures use to paint frames, axles etc, but it’ costs money. So much so, for example, that if any manufacture could shave half a mill off their product could save millions of dollars.

The Ford axles are cosmetic issues, nothing more. You should be more concerned of owning a car in Florida and it rusting the paint off the body from the salt in the air, which BTW would rust thru the car body before it even make a dent in the axel.
Bigger problem living in the Nort with salted roads than salty air living in Florida.... coming from living in town on the water for the past 39 years.

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger problem living in the Nort with salted roads than salty air living in Florida.... coming from living in town on the water for the past 39 years.
. Have lived in Florida for 35 years , and have never seen rusty vehicles like I have in Pennsylvania, New York etc…. The salty air is nothing but a old wives tail. You never hear anyone say “avoid buying a car from Florida.”

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not a brand loyalist but I’ve rarely heard of any of the problems you’ve mentioned. One of the main reasons why Toyotas don’t make the list is they don’t make anything that that the real working class needs. No 3/4 or 1 ton. No long bed no diesel, weak payload. Tacos definitely had frame rot issues but Tindras didn’t. Overall the Tundra is a very reliable truck. The problem with it, is that is boring. It doesn’t do anything great. It’s not class leading. It’s dated and ugly (Subjectively).

Look them up, they’re all common. Toyota issued TSBs for some, meaning they’re high volume. Others, like the cam tower oil leaks, they just ignore because it’s a cost prohibitive repair.

The frame rust issue most certainly affects Tundra, they’re built with the same inferior metal. Toyota lost a $3.4 Billion class action lawsuit over it, yet their statement at the end was that “they admit to no wrongdoing”. That’s the kind of company Toyota is; remember these are the same folks who knowingly installed defective Takata airbag inflators in recent models with a disclaimer that they’d need to be recalled later. Toyota only cares about the billions in profit that flows steadily out of this country and Japan.

2007 and 2008 Tundras were included in the class action settlement, the later models use the same frame and will exhibit the same rust issue.

Last edited:

tdford6

Reaction score
Gen 2 is the same, it hasn’t been an issue.
My 2018 has no problems either. This is probably a rare limited issue.

I have scratched my Gen2 flares to death, they are not painted IMO.

They ARE painted lol.

Why someone asked? Look at any (non raptor) fender flare that is 3-4 years old. The black plastic fades. These will not.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah be careful of how critical you are of Ford or one of the nerd administrators sitting in his mother’s basement will ban you.
I think it would be more accurate to say ‘be careful of being a troll here on FRF or one of the nerd administrators sitting in his mother’s basement will ban you’.

Because plenty of us have been critical of Ford at times and stealerships and lamented some issue here.
Well I can tell you this much. I’ve owned GMCs, Jeeps, Chevys, Hondas, Toyotas and even Fords in the past and none of them had the issues the new trucks have. It’s called they are going cheaper on the materials now than they have in the past.
So.... The new Aluminum body F150 Raptor with it’s frame that is very probably, literally 3x the mass of a truck from from years gone by, has more tech than the Space Shuttle, is going cheaper on materials.

I suppose we disagree.