Terrible paint quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah be careful of how critical you are of Ford or one of the nerd administrators sitting in his mother’s basement will ban you.
ok...so what Ford do you own? We're not here to worship foreign junk, but if you're looking to buy a new F-Seriers, I'm happy to help.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've worked on everything from Mitsubishi to Porsche, not just Ford. The fact that your FIL has worked for Toyota for 40 years certainly contributes to the bias to your views. Toyota cheerleaders love to pull the high mileage card; the "1 million mile" claims are a farce, yet toyota turns them into a PR stunt. Any vehicle can make it to 1 million miles if you just keep replacing parts, but it's a waste of time and money. The fact that they need to constantly highlight those ridiculous fairytales to try and sell their products is pathetic.

You claim Tundras "hardly" have issues? Lol ok. So when the (current) 2007 model debuted and they were snapping camshafts and blowing engines, that wasn't an issue? The $3500 Air Injection Pumps (AIP) that fail right out of warranty aren't an "issue"? The repeat cam tower oil leaks that require disassembly of the entire top half of the engine aren't an "issue"? The frames and differential housings rusting completely through is not an "issue"? How about the extremely common sticking brake caliper pistons or valve spring failures? Not an "issue"? Some of these ended up as TSBs and were resolved on later models, but the current generation has been on sale for 15 years.

"Go look at the stats"? The stats are clear, Ford is #1 in every single industry. Followed closely by GM/RAM. That includes forestry, agriculture, mining, oil drilling, emergency vehicles, etc. If the tundra was as great as you'd lead people to believe, it would be in the top 3. It doesn't even make the list, because it's a weak pile of junk. Just like the Nissan titan.

You're not "stating facts". You're a brand loyalist and based on your posts I find it hard to believe that you're actually buying a Raptor, because all you do is complain. Factory defects occur regardless of brand, especially with a new model launch. You're living in your own little fantasy world.

I’m not a brand loyalist but I’ve rarely heard of any of the problems you’ve mentioned. One of the main reasons why Toyotas don’t make the list is they don’t make anything that that the real working class needs. No 3/4 or 1 ton. No long bed no diesel, weak payload. Tacos definitely had frame rot issues but Tindras didn’t. Overall the Tundra is a very reliable truck. The problem with it, is that is boring. It doesn’t do anything great. It’s not class leading. It’s dated and ugly (Subjectively).

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the icing on the cake is...they're rust bucket junk that isn't any more "reliable" than anything else.

How about that Ford under coating? You can say what you want, but new trucks shouldn’t be sitting on lots with rust on the under carriage. GMs don’t even have that with their cheap wax frame.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
How about that Ford under coating? You can say what you want, but new trucks shouldn’t be sitting on lots with rust on the under carriage. GMs don’t even have that with their cheap wax frame.
I happen to be a Product Engineer for ECOAT, aka Elctrodeposition, so I will step in here, since my product is what paints all frames and metal parts of most everything you own, including your dishwasher, washing machine, all farming equipment, square D boxes, harley frames, basically anything that metal is exposed to elements of nature. I can assure you the rust you are speaking of does not hurt anything. If you want to cover your entire car with actual paint (final coat) you wouldn’t be able to afford it. Plain and simple. Surface rust is common and not an issue.

When to be concerned is when it’s a thin metal, I.e. muffler, car body etc. For thick surfaces, it’s nothing. Car manufactures use to paint frames, axles etc, but it’ costs money. So much so, for example, that if any manufacture could shave half a mill off their product could save millions of dollars.

The Ford axles are cosmetic issues, nothing more. You should be more concerned of owning a car in Florida and it rusting the paint off the body from the salt in the air, which BTW would rust thru the car body before it even make a dent in the axel.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happen to be a Product Engineer for ECOAT, aka Elctrodeposition, so I will step in here, since my product is what paints all frames and metal parts of most everything you own, including your dishwasher, washing machine, all farming equipment, square D boxes, harley frames, basically anything that metal is exposed to elements of nature. I can assure you the rust you are speaking of does not hurt anything. If you want to cover your entire car with actual paint (final coat) you wouldn’t be able to afford it. Plain and simple. Surface rust is common and not an issue.

When to be concerned is when it’s a thin metal, I.e. muffler, car body etc. For thick surfaces, it’s nothing. Car manufactures use to paint frames, axles etc, but it’ costs money. So much so, for example, that if any manufacture could shave half a mill off their product could save millions of dollars.

The Ford axles are cosmetic issues, nothing more. You should be more concerned of owning a car in Florida and it rusting the paint off the body from the salt in the air, which BTW would rust thru the car body before it even make a dent in the axel.

I understand it’s cosmetic. Well at least that’s what Ford tells us. Ultimately I know a diff isn’t going to rust through, but when you have under carriages that have surface rust all over and they are still sitting on the dealer lot waiting to be sold it looks bad. Especially for those who engineer the product.

You make a great point through. Auto manufacturers do whatever they can to cut costs to save millions all while prices continue to rise. This isn’t a knock on Ford explicitly. They all do it.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
I understand it’s cosmetic. Well at least that’s what Ford tells us. Ultimately I know a diff isn’t going to rust through, but when you have under carriages that have surface rust all over and they are still sitting on the dealer lot waiting to be sold it looks bad. Especially for those who engineer the product.
Next time it rains, go look at your brakes. I’ll admit it doesn’t look good It is no worse than dirt. It would fall off with the pressure of your thumb on a hose spraying it off. you would not like the cost increase to paint the underbody. Trust me.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time it rains, go look at your brakes. I’ll admit it doesn’t look good It is no worse than dirt. It would fall off with the pressure of your thumb on a hose spraying it off. you would not like the cost increase to paint the underbody. Trust me.
Well I can tell you this much. I’ve owned GMCs, Jeeps, Chevys, Hondas, Toyotas and even Fords in the past and none of them had the issues the new trucks have. It’s called they are going cheaper on the materials now than they have in the past.