Tell me why a 4 inch suspension lift is bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tell me why a 4 inch suspension lift if bad

I ask the question because I along with many other members on this forum would like too or are running 37" or greater size tires. The options to run 37's guys have been using is Top perch, upgraded control arms, upgraded cv axles, and aftermarket fenders. This still leads to issues due to the strain on cv axles. Yes, the upgraded cv's are stronger and more likely to hold up but still a week point.

Now, the arguments I hear against a suspension lift are the change in center of gravity and change in suspension geometry. I think these are both bogus when it comes to a smaller size 4" lift as top perch lifts the truck 3-3.5"s. I don't know if it's actually compatible with the Raptor but 4wheelparts says Fabtech has a 4" lift that's compatible with the Raptor.

A 4" lift would have roughly the same center of gravity as top perch, keep stock angles on the cv axles and other suspension components.

So, why is a 4 inch suspension lift bad?

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ask the question because I along with many other members on this forum would like too or are running 37" or greater size tires. The options to run 37's guys have been using is Top perch, upgraded control arms, upgraded cv axles, and aftermarket fenders. This still leads to issues due to the strain on cv axles. Yes, the upgraded cv's are stronger and more likely to hold up but still a weak point.

Now, the arguments I hear against a suspension lift are the change in center of gravity and change in suspension geometry. I think these are both bogus when it comes to a smaller size 4" lift as top perch lifts the truck 3-3.5"s. I don't know if it's actually compatible with the Raptor but 4wheelparts says Fabtech has a 4" lift that's compatible with the Raptor.

A 4" lift would have roughly the same center of gravity as top perch, keep stock angles on the cv axles and other suspension components.

So, why is a 4 inch suspension lift bad?

Banned
Reaction score
because its a raptor, not a regular F150.

go mid perch, and fiberglass fenders and you should be fine to run 37's

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your gonna take what's special about the Raptor (suspension) and throw them away for some lower quality shocks?

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Does someone make a 4" lift for a raptor?

I just don't like the idea of adding a 4" spacer between the frame and front axle for tire clearance.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is special because of the long travel suspension and the wheel openings allow 35s to run without changing the center of gravity much. IMHO if you want to run 37s then get different fenders so you don't raise the truck up. How many race trucks are lifted, there is a reason, PHYSICS.

I've always felt like trucks with axle blocks were for posers

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
because its a raptor, not a regular F150.

go mid perch, and fiberglass fenders and you should be fine to run 37's
Thanks but your answer doesn't provide a reason other than a Raptor isn't a regular F150.
So your gonna take what's special about the Raptor (suspension) and throw them away for some lower quality shocks?

Lol, wait who said lower quality shocks? Anyhow, if this suspension is so "special" why is it acceptable to upgrade shocks, control arms, tie rods, and CV axles?

If I were to ever consider doing this it would be with upgraded Fox or Icon 3.0 shocks. All that would be different is a drop bracket that would re-position the lower control arms along with the rest of the front drive train assembly.

Look guys, I'm not saying this is a great idea. But, through the logic I layed out on my first post I haven't found a reason why it's a bad idea. And again, this in regards to a 4" lift.

The Raptor is special because of the long travel suspension and the wheel openings allow 35s to run without changing the center of gravity much. IMHO if you want to run 37s then get different fenders so you don't raise the truck up. How many race trucks are lifted, there is a reason, PHYSICS.

I've always felt like trucks with axle blocks were for posers

Travel is not effected and the Raptor is a mid travel at best. If your position is that no one shouldn't be running anything but stock perch then that's sounds logic. However, all aftermarket shocks raise the truck to mid perch or above to my knowledge.

Remember I'm comparing a 4" to top perch.

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
its a bad idea because it would be ugly as can be, less functional as yous have to go much slower offroad as to not roll it thanks to higher COG, and you would be shunned on raptor forums for throwing a lift kit on a raptor.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well with 37's the rear doesn't need to be modified. And you didn't specify, so i figure you meant you would use the Fabtech shock that come with the kit. If you upgrade to 3.0's, they allow you to adjust the height, a kit isn't needed. I would definitely go glass though.