Tell me I'm completely insane for even considering this........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drnimrod

Reaction score
At the risk of getting blasted, here goes...........

Given the 3 bumps in my build date (now pushed out another 2 months to April), I started thinking whether this was a sign to perhaps not a get raptor. Accordingly, I started thinking about other options.
As I posted way back, I've always been intrigued by the 392 Hemi V8, and as such, cross shopped a Rubicon 392. Then I drove a Rubicon with the turbo diesel and decided quickly that there was no way I could live with this on long drives. I also have loved the Raptor from afar for years, but never seriously considered getting one until moving up here to the mountains and driving my buddy's gen 2.

When I drove his, I really liked it-- A LOT, minus the turbo lag in normal mode, and figured based on what I read about the Gen3, I'm going to like it even more. I live in a rural community at 6500 ft, and won't be doing hard core rock crawling, and likely won't be pushing the Raptor in the desert either, but am intrigued about doing some stupid stuff occasionally down in the desert w/o hopefully doing any serious damage.

I can't have a second 'fun' sports car right now, so having one vehicle that does it all is important.
So, the other vehicle I'm considering is.............

.......A Dodge Durango SRT 392.

Before anyone laughs too hard, the reasons are as follows:
-- Durango gives me a very good DD --similar to the Raptor. Not sure which would be more comfortable for long drives to Utah and CA, which I will do every couple of months, along with twice a month drives down to Phoenix.
--Durango would scratch the 392 itch, and from what I'm hearing, this engine may be retired soon b/c of emissions laws. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, then it makes sense to own one for a couple of years and then get the Raptor later, as it's not going anywhere.
-- Off roading: I haven't done nearly as much as I thought I would in my current ride: 4runner TRD pro. Therefore, I'm not sure it's a big loss here. The Durango can get me to the light trails I need to get to for hiking. The big minus is no fun in the desert, but again, I wasn't going to push my Raptor too hard down there.

In terms of cons..........
--The Durango interior << Raptor. I much prefer the Raptor interior in terms of tech/design, and space, and on long drives, will probably enjoy driving the Raptor more with the new suspension set up in the 3rd gen. Durango will be a stiffer ride for sure, but probably fine in 'auto mode'. I can't find a SRT Durango anywhere around me, so there isn't a chance to compare the two.
--If I change my mind about off roading, I'm screwed.

In terms of fun factor:
--Not sure about this one. I love the way the Raptor handles on road, but that exhaust note isn't going to put a smile on my face the way the 392 will.

Unknowns:
--I'm not sure if the AWD platform with AS tires on the Durango (295/45/20) or the auto/part time 4wd system in the Raptor is going to be better for our winters when it does snow and the roads ice over. This is only relevant for 3, maybe 4 months out of the year.

--Bottom line is that I now KNOW I want a Raptor one day, after having driven one. I completely get the love people here have for them. I'm just proposing an alternative for maybe 2 years before I sell it and get a Raptor once this economy cools and the supply chain issues resolve.
--yes, I'll still have to order the Durango and there may be delays there too............no guarantees.
--Price wise: it's close to a wash. Durango built out is more expensive than the Raptor at MSRP by a few thousand, but I'll get about 5% off MSRP on the Durango.

Tell me I'm nuts for even considering this alternative.
I just did a road trip with my buddy in his Rubicon and it was one of the most uncomfortable trips I've ever taken. He agreed. The wait is worth it.

Plus, you could buy a Jeep and engine swap a V8 hemi into it for about $15-20k less. People have been doing that for years.

Edit: No, you're not insane, just human and exploring your possibilities. Good luck with your decision.

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a road trip with my buddy in his Rubicon and it was one of the most uncomfortable trips I've ever taken. He agreed. The wait is worth it.

Plus, you could buy a Jeep and engine swap a V8 hemi into it for about $15-20k less. People have been doing that for years.

Edit: No, you're not insane, just human and exploring your possibilities. Good luck with your decision.
I just drove 900 miles in 13.5 hours in my Wrangler in one day. It really wasn’t that bad considering it has straight axles. You’re not going to be floating like a Cadillac.

Engine swap is a terrible idea. Buying a warranted 392 is the way to go. You get more then just the engine. There are many upgraded suspension and drivetrain components.

Resale is also going to favor the factory 392.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bruin1md

Reaction score
I just paid 64k for my 2019 and not even mad about it... Did have some "upgrades" but when I factor in what I got for my trade it's a good deal. Figure this will hold it's value for a trade if I decide to order a 2023 Raptor or TRX.

Not sure even after the hellcat engine is canned if it will help hold value. I guess we can see what srt10 rams are at
I think you will be fine, but given that I'm getting my 2022 Gen 3 at sticker --$71,500 or so, and with the 801A package-- there is no way I would pay $69k for this 2018 with 46k miles. He asked what it would take for me to buy it.......I'll likely make them a low ball offer which they will turn down.

crc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Durango is kinda a odd backup plan for a Raptor . Raptor TRX is apples to oranges , Raptor to Durango is apples to ****** Berries !

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will be fine, but given that I'm getting my 2022 Gen 3 at sticker --$71,500 or so, and with the 801A package-- there is no way I would pay $69k for this 2018 with 46k miles. He asked what it would take for me to buy it.......I'll likely make them a low ball offer which they will turn down.
Yup window sticker was 72 on the 2019, had ADD bumper collars to fit the 37s on Method 312s. They gave me 20k more than I paid for my trade in, 14k profit after taxes and fees...

2020LeadFootFL

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had always been a car guy. Drove a Raptor on a whim last year, went all in shortly after. There aren't many options that combines the comfort, fun, capabilities, and performance of a Raptor. My biggest regret is that I didn't get one years ago. Absolute dream to drive on or off road.

Touringchef

Reaction score
At the risk of getting blasted, here goes...........

Given the 3 bumps in my build date (now pushed out another 2 months to April), I started thinking whether this was a sign to perhaps not a get raptor. Accordingly, I started thinking about other options.
As I posted way back, I've always been intrigued by the 392 Hemi V8, and as such, cross shopped a Rubicon 392. Then I drove a Rubicon with the turbo diesel and decided quickly that there was no way I could live with this on long drives. I also have loved the Raptor from afar for years, but never seriously considered getting one until moving up here to the mountains and driving my buddy's gen 2.

When I drove his, I really liked it-- A LOT, minus the turbo lag in normal mode, and figured based on what I read about the Gen3, I'm going to like it even more. I live in a rural community at 6500 ft, and won't be doing hard core rock crawling, and likely won't be pushing the Raptor in the desert either, but am intrigued about doing some stupid stuff occasionally down in the desert w/o hopefully doing any serious damage.

I can't have a second 'fun' sports car right now, so having one vehicle that does it all is important.
So, the other vehicle I'm considering is.............

.......A Dodge Durango SRT 392.

Before anyone laughs too hard, the reasons are as follows:
-- Durango gives me a very good DD --similar to the Raptor. Not sure which would be more comfortable for long drives to Utah and CA, which I will do every couple of months, along with twice a month drives down to Phoenix.
--Durango would scratch the 392 itch, and from what I'm hearing, this engine may be retired soon b/c of emissions laws. I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, then it makes sense to own one for a couple of years and then get the Raptor later, as it's not going anywhere.
-- Off roading: I haven't done nearly as much as I thought I would in my current ride: 4runner TRD pro. Therefore, I'm not sure it's a big loss here. The Durango can get me to the light trails I need to get to for hiking. The big minus is no fun in the desert, but again, I wasn't going to push my Raptor too hard down there.

In terms of cons..........
--The Durango interior << Raptor. I much prefer the Raptor interior in terms of tech/design, and space, and on long drives, will probably enjoy driving the Raptor more with the new suspension set up in the 3rd gen. Durango will be a stiffer ride for sure, but probably fine in 'auto mode'. I can't find a SRT Durango anywhere around me, so there isn't a chance to compare the two.
--If I change my mind about off roading, I'm screwed.

In terms of fun factor:
--Not sure about this one. I love the way the Raptor handles on road, but that exhaust note isn't going to put a smile on my face the way the 392 will.

Unknowns:
--I'm not sure if the AWD platform with AS tires on the Durango (295/45/20) or the auto/part time 4wd system in the Raptor is going to be better for our winters when it does snow and the roads ice over. This is only relevant for 3, maybe 4 months out of the year.

--Bottom line is that I now KNOW I want a Raptor one day, after having driven one. I completely get the love people here have for them. I'm just proposing an alternative for maybe 2 years before I sell it and get a Raptor once this economy cools and the supply chain issues resolve.
--yes, I'll still have to order the Durango and there may be delays there too............no guarantees.
--Price wise: it's close to a wash. Durango built out is more expensive than the Raptor at MSRP by a few thousand, but I'll get about 5% off MSRP on the Durango.

I have had 4 Raptors. I just traded my 19 for a 21, the dealer on each occasion gave top dollar on my trade including the last one a week ago. 64k and 16 k cash for a new 21 with a 79k Msrp.

Point # 1 These trucks hold there value better than almost anything out there.
Point # 2 I have thoroughly enjoyed each year from 2014 to present more than the previous Gen each time.
Point # 3 They are a blast, comfortable on long trips. You will not have buyers remorse.
Point # 4 If you do, sell it, you will get most of your money back!

Kyleatus

Reaction score
My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit. I just got a Gen 3. Ford is playing in a different league with tech if that’s something you’re considering. The Unconnect system in the Jeep is SLOW. Raptor rides much better too if it’s also you’re DD which I think you stated.

Low Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’ve never had a Raptor you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s absolutely worth the wait. I went thru that with my Gen 2. I’m sure most of you guys are probably in your 30-40’s, am I right? Well guys I’m 75 and still ordered a new one. I’ve been bumped back 4 times but I’m still hanging in there. Most of us knows what it’s like to know it’s built yet sitting in the yard waiting to be delivered.
all I can say in my advanced years is sit back and forget about it or you’ll go nuts. Patience my son, patience

OP
OP
B

bruin1md

Reaction score
If you’ve never had a Raptor you don’t know what you’re missing. It’s absolutely worth the wait. I went thru that with my Gen 2. I’m sure most of you guys are probably in your 30-40’s, am I right? Well guys I’m 75 and still ordered a new one. I’ve been bumped back 4 times but I’m still hanging in there. Most of us knows what it’s like to know it’s built yet sitting in the yard waiting to be delivered.
all I can say in my advanced years is sit back and forget about it or you’ll go nuts. Patience my son, patience
Patience for the build is one thing. Having the rug pulled out from underneath me with my price going up by $3300 is another thing altogether.

I'm beyond pissed.