Tech Question - Traction Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of the Ford techs or other members out there can help me out with this.
Is traction control speed limited? (ie: only works below certain speeds)? Or only active while turning?

The snow here is finally melting, and most of the dry roads are covered in sand and silt. I've had the tires break loose numerous times in the past week while driving more than 25 mph. Not once has the trac control cut power or caused the ABS to kick in.
Specifically - this is straight line driving only. Slow take off in first gear, moderate into second, then when I push it (not rug it, but you know, make it go fast...) both tires break loose until I back off a bit. No fishtailing or sideways movement - just good ole fashioned spin.
I really stomped on it on the highway yesterday afternoon and got the wheels to spin doing about 50mph.

Not that I mind, as this is how trucks are supposed to work without all the high tech crap.

At slippery areas, inclines and turns (like my driveway with a 10% slope and 2 S-bends) the traction control is active all the time and works great.

So, is the traction control 'smart'? I'd just like to know in case I get into a tough situation where reflex and reaction could be over-ridden, causing a bad scene.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be helpful

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
if your in ORM with the trac off or in sport, you wouldn't notice it until your about to turn upside down! In normal everything mode, you should feel it quite significantly as soon as the truck back end tries to rotate over bumps even the slightest bit.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I've had times where I've hit the trac control button once and driving out of my sub in snow, the tires will spin if I give it gas going straight but as soon as I come into a corner and it senses the slightest slip it kicks in.

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah I kept my trac ON in the snow and ice. I pulled too many people out only to become one of them stuck in a ditch.

Me too only turned it off when I was trying to have some fun in the middle of a blizzard in a big parking lot.

Vidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through my manual a couple of days ago for another reason (2H TCS with Locker)

in there it does say that the TCS/RSC/ESC system is more sensitive at low speed and the thresholds to trip increase as speed increases(Less sensitive).

Trailer Sway Control doesnt enable until 50MPH, i glossed over this bit so im not sure how much it affects ths whole TCS thing

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Me too only turned it off when I was trying to have some fun in the middle of a blizzard in a big parking lot.

I use to keep mine on all the time but when I'd attempt to pull out onto the main road from my sub which was NEVER plowed the traction control would always kick in and I'd feel powerless sometimes while cars were approaching FAST. So I started hitting the TC once before leaving and it would spin and dig the tires in and get me going quick.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I use to keep mine on all the time but when I'd attempt to pull out onto the main road from my sub which was NEVER plowed the traction control would always kick in and I'd feel powerless sometimes while cars were approaching FAST. So I started hitting the TC once before leaving and it would spin and dig the tires in and get me going quick.

Same here- gravel roads but same effect.