Talk me off the ledge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
belacyrf

belacyrf

Reaction score
Have you considered something like a '96 Ranger Splash extended cab in nice condition? Could be a cool alternative until things calm down.
Unfortunately I currently have a 30 yr old miata (my project car) currently acting as my daily (luckily I work remote). And this truck is going to be my family trip, cargo carrying, and vacation car. The ranger wouldnt' do so well with 2 kids, 2 dogs and so on :)

I'm pretty set that IF I choose to go cheap, I'm going to go with a Tacoma Off-Road or Tundra TRD Pro. The off-road taco is by far the best option as I can pick up a very low mileage one for about 40 (which would save 55K ... wow it hurts just typing that)

But seeing that Ford just raised prices on the raptor by 3300, I think I'm pretty solid staying pat and going with the raptor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm pretty set that IF I choose to go cheap, I'm going to go with a Tacoma Off-Road or Tundra TRD Pro. The off-road taco is by far the best option as I can pick up a very low mileage one for about 40 (which would save 55K ... wow it hurts just typing that)

I’m betting @FordTechOne would be able to successfully disabuse you of any notions of purchasing a Toyota. ;-)

Just sayin’ ... Gen1 Raptors are out there. For sale, reasonably priced and maintained.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... I was driving a high mileage Tacoma for a few months, and really was tired of driving something so boring lol
Nobody does boring as well as Toyota. Depending on the situation, that can be a good thing. One of my friends sold a 2010 Taco with 200k to a buddy for $16k. Friends and family deal and his buddy was delirious with happiness. Sounds like things are rough out there in the used market, too.

jzbzack

Reaction score
So I have a 22 37's on order. The Raptor is basically my dream truck and I am beyond excited to own one. My current order was Nov 8th, with a 3/7 build date now pushed to 3/21 (I'm not complaining about the push, we are all dealing with it). The reality is that it's probably going to be pushed a few more times and then likely even more delays after it's "built".

The dilemma is this.. i'm waiting for a truck that is nearly 6 figures (yes I have ADM that puts me in the 90s). Even at MSRP 84K is substantial. Also this market is inflated.. we all know it. What's going to happen when supplies normalize, inventory grows and this waiting is done. Will our values tank?

I'm considering just buying a used truck to get me through these times and then revisit the raptor in a few years when things are more normal. I'm sure you've all had similar thoughts. What kept you on the Raptor train?
I totaled my last truck, an F-150 FX2 that I’d had since I was 18. I’m 30 now.

I looked around at ‘21 and ‘22 F-150 4x4’s and they were marked up so high. One of them I looked at was like $62k MSRP.. nonsense. Even then I’d be settling, because it isn’t really what I wanted to drive, a Raptor was.

So I looked around for an older raptor instead and got my hands on a 2019 Gen2. If I was gonna have a truck payment, it was damn sure going to be assigned to a truck I loved.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I currently have a 30 yr old miata (my project car) currently acting as my daily (luckily I work remote). And this truck is going to be my family trip, cargo carrying, and vacation car. The ranger wouldnt' do so well with 2 kids, 2 dogs and so on :)

But seeing that Ford just raised prices on the raptor by 3300, I think I'm pretty solid staying pat and going with the raptor.
PLEASE don't go the tacoma route.... if you do:

200.gif

Boeing777

Reaction score
So I have a 22 37's on order. The Raptor is basically my dream truck and I am beyond excited to own one. My current order was Nov 8th, with a 3/7 build date now pushed to 3/21 (I'm not complaining about the push, we are all dealing with it). The reality is that it's probably going to be pushed a few more times and then likely even more delays after it's "built".

The dilemma is this.. i'm waiting for a truck that is nearly 6 figures (yes I have ADM that puts me in the 90s). Even at MSRP 84K is substantial. Also this market is inflated.. we all know it. What's going to happen when supplies normalize, inventory grows and this waiting is done. Will our values tank?

I'm considering just buying a used truck to get me through these times and then revisit the raptor in a few years when things are more normal. I'm sure you've all had similar thoughts. What kept you on the Raptor train?
I ordered my truck back in October at least you have a build date and probably even vin number my dealership have no information for me all I know is Ford excepted my order back in October

AnamnesisV

Reaction score
If you don’t want to wait Get a low mileage Gen 1 or 2 then experience the raptor from kinda the beginning till you get a Gen 3 or 4 later. Up to you! Can’t go wrong with any of the gens it’s just the tech is obviously older on Gen 1s but man are they fun trucks!

OP
OP
belacyrf

belacyrf

Reaction score
Ok so one last piece of info... I will probably NEVER off-road this thing. I live in NC, we're not known for our dunes and baja runs. I could take through mud and swamp but that's not me, I'd end up spending hours and hours cleaning it afterwards. I just love the truck, the way it looks, the interior, the exhaust sound. To me, it's more like a very capable luxury truck. Like buying an exotic car. It can do 200mph but you'll never use it for that.

So with that said.. still the Raptor?