Taking raptor in for warranty work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Dealer did an oil consumption test, and after the truck burned 0.8 qts in 1,000 miles. The service rep told me that this is normal and still within Ford’s range of normal consumption of oil. I find this to be excessive as that would be 6 qts burned after 7,500 miles!! I’m I crazy or is Ford giving me the run around on warrant work?
Sounds excessive to me too! @FordTechOne

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Dealer did an oil consumption test, and after the truck burned 0.8 qts in 1,000 miles. The service rep told me that this is normal and still within Ford’s range of normal consumption of oil. I find this to be excessive as that would be 6 qts burned after 7,500 miles!! I’m I crazy or is Ford giving me the run around on warrant work?
I think the threshold is 1qt per 1k miles which sounds absurd to me. This isn’t 1970. Maybe that was the guidance for my wife’s MDX. They have that problem too.

that said, I need to check my oil more often.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE:

What prompted the oil consumption test? Didn't see it on your original list.

Regardless, you are being provided some bogus information by the dealer. First off, the TSB instructs the dealer to start out by reflashing the PCM; is that noted on the RO? Second, once the PCM has been reflashed, the dealer is instructed to perform an oil consumption test if the truck was built before 2-Apr-2019. Since your truck is a 2018, yours qualifies. Third, the oil consumption test is not based on how much oil is used within 1,000 miles. The fact that they even claimed "0.8" of a quart is ridiculous, the dipstick is not that precise. The test is based on the mileage at which 1 quart of oil has been consumed, as marked on the dipstick during the TSB procedure. They should have advised you that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 mi) or weekly to monitor consumption. If 1 quart of oil is consumed within 3,000 miles, the truck qualifies to have the valve covers replaced per the TSB.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the oil test for the 3.5, but for the 5.0, it was 1qt in 3000 miles. If it used a qt or more Ford was replacing the long blocks. My 2018 fell under this, but instead of having them rip my truck apart, I traded it in for an AT4 which I then traded in for my Raptor.
My Raptor used about 1/2 qt in 5000 miles with 7K on the ODO.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know what’s considered normal.

but my 2017 gets the oil changed every 5000 miles. It has NEVER needed oil between oil changes.

Docked Wages

Reaction score
That's too long, those parts are readily available.

Not in Brevard County, Florida. Around here techs seem to be Brevarded in Floriduuhh.

After 3 weeks it still creaks and leaks.

The dealer said we were closing the roof the wrong way. They claim to stop the leak when closing the roof from full open you need to push the button to close then at the end of the travel you need to vent up then close. This is the dumbest response I've ever heard.

They threw up their hands on the creak and said they would have to pull the back glass all of the trim and remove the headliner to attempt to find it. Considering the lack of confidence I have and that I expected to have more rattles and creaks afterward I told them not to touch it and will figure it out on my own.

It also went in for a harsh shifting transmission. Had to wait a month to get in because the service advisor said it will need a trans replacement. After that wait they decided that reprogramming the TCM again was appropriate. Trans still shifts hard and they say it's "characteristic of the vehicle."

It's as if this county is a third world country.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not in Brevard County, Florida. Around here techs seem to be Brevarded in Floriduuhh.

After 3 weeks it still creaks and leaks.

The dealer said we were closing the roof the wrong way. They claim to stop the leak when closing the roof from full open you need to push the button to close then at the end of the travel you need to vent up then close. This is the dumbest response I've ever heard.

They threw up their hands on the creak and said they would have to pull the back glass all of the trim and remove the headliner to attempt to find it. Considering the lack of confidence I have and that I expected to have more rattles and creaks afterward I told them not to touch it and will figure it out on my own.

It also went in for a harsh shifting transmission. Had to wait a month to get in because the service advisor said it will need a trans replacement. After that wait they decided that reprogramming the TCM again was appropriate. Trans still shifts hard and they say it's "characteristic of the vehicle."

It's as if this county is a third world country.
Sounds like you need a new dealer for sure. What a bunch of asshats!