Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Tailgate unexpectedly opening.

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Forum [GEN 2]' started by Wfo, May 16, 2020.

1. Wfo

Wfo FRF Addict

First of all sorry if this has been posted already. I’ve been working so much during this corona bs I don’t have much free time to search the forum. I just got a letter from ford regarding this issue. First time it opened on a trailer jack hand and scratched the gate handle to shit! Second time it opened on the way to work and my dog ramp fell out of the bed. Third time it opened on my oneup bike rake and scratched the tail gate appliqué. Haven’t had a chance to call the dealer yet. Sucks there is no warning it’s open. Anyone else have an issue? View attachment 143774

2. Oldfart

Oldfart Full Access Member

That's not good at all!!!

Wfo likes this.
  3. Wfo

Wfo FRF Addict

Tried to edit and created a double post. Oops

4. Oldfart

What year is your truck? I could see your tailgate getting all kinds of screwed up by opening at the wrong time. Like smashing into your garage door, hitting a trailer, dumping stuff out onto a highway, all kinds of fun stuff.

5. isis

isis Full Access Member

Mine was open when I drove to the store once. Couldn’t figure out why my collision alarm was going nuts as I finagled it into a space. I figured I just didn’t slam it closed hard enough that time but since I got this letter I’m terrified when I bring a $250 load of groceries home packed between the bed divider and tailgate. :dogpile:

6. TRMFAM

TRMFAM Full Access Member

Following. With the remote release I have thought about this several times sine owning the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Oldfart

I didn't get a letter and I just checked my VIN. It says I'm good with my '20. Mines still in getting the timing cover fixed and I had already asked if they could disable remote gate opening. I had it pop open in my garage when I was figuring out the remote start. My fault completely, but I can't see me ever needing it and it seems like future trouble.

8. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

9. sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45 Ruby Red Metallic Supercrew, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.

I found mine unlocked twice now but it was held up by my Undercover Elite Tonneau cover, thought maybe I had done it accidentally since I wear my keys on a maxpedition key holder and it may have bumped up against part of the seatbelt.

I'll have to check into this to see if mine is being recalled for this tailgate issue.

10. hekster1

hekster1 Full Access Member

I have a 2018 with no issue on the tail gate opening. I did get the letter from Ford in regards to this. Don’t know if I should take it to a dealer or not...