Tailgate step question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Neither of my previous two F150's had the tailgate step but with the added height of the Raptor I figured it would be nice.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had heard you could do that...I like the step, but I think I'll eventually remove the handle and get the flat tailgate panel!

I'd definitely get it again!

I did this to mine. the panel is usually scratched up when you get it, but I put mine on, then linexed the whole bed including the cover so it matched.

HarleyGirl

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I don't care for the OEM tailgate step, so I ordered one of these from Purple Cranium & having them powder coat it. Of course tailgate has to be closed to use it.
I had the Bestop bumper step on my Tundra & it worked great but with this truck being higher, not sure I could use it.

Anyway, just some options I wanted to mention.

Attachments

• F46898866.jpg
    F46898866.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 3711_1_lg.jpg
    3711_1_lg.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 54

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problem with those is function while tailgate is down.

I have to admit that GMC Sierra for 2014 (idea came from Chevy Avalanche) got it right with the step bumper. It can be used with the tailgate up or down. Just grab the corner steak pocket and lift yourself up.

Just my 2 cents and opinion.

mezuhapa.jpg

9y8apa4e.jpg

Mjburns78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chevy one looks nice and I get it, but what I dont get is... can you not jusr step 4 inches higher on the bumber? Love the Ford oem tailgate step.

Love her just the way she is....

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The chevy one looks nice and I get it, but what I dont get is... can you not jusr step 4 inches higher on the bumber? Love the Ford oem tailgate step.

Love her just the way she is....

You're correct as long as you have the leg height to extend that 4" more inches. Some people don't have that height.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have had the step on mine. However there are instances where the step bumper to the side would work well also.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ford factory tailgate step has a wide purchase.this allows the user to stand on it with both feet and secure items near the end of the bed nearest tailgate. securing things to the bed extender(in the folded in position)while standing on the step is way easier. a large ice chest full of ice and cold brews are easy to reach when tied down to the bed extender folded in.

Last edited: