Tailgate Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLeeDog

Reaction score
There has been a lot of these thefts in TX. I keep my Gen 1 locked and in the garage, but I did get a tip from the police that if the tailgate comes off in the traditional fashion by rotating it back and pulling up on PS to disengage it from the hinge than use a 2" hose clamp and feed it around the PS hinge and cinch it up. Just another step a would be ass hammer would have to go through to relieve you of your tailgate.

I'm not familiar with the Gen II hinge assembly so I am assuming it is no different than a Gen 1. I have a clamp sitting on my workbench that I will be putting on my truck.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is like locking your doors, it will keep some out. An alarm will keep others out. Bars will keep some out. A guard dog will keep some out. Pick what you want to do, and the area you live in, and do it. Then sleep good because you have insurance. But by locking it and doing things, you can keep from using your insurance and keep future premiums down.
In addition to other items installed, this is perhaps the best..
Ravelco www.nohotwire.com

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is like locking your doors, it will keep some out. An alarm will keep others out. Bars will keep some out. A guard dog will keep some out. Pick what you want to do, and the area you live in, and do it. Then sleep good because you have insurance. But by locking it and doing things, you can keep from using your insurance and keep future premiums down.

Locks, glass, alarms keep out honest people, insurance is cheap in the grand scheme of things, I have no idea what others pay, but I can tell you that I am paying $223 every 6 months for full coverage, and I don't have 25k limits either. Just an old guy with good driving habits.

If your insurance agent was docked $50 every time one of his clients had to shell the deductible, he might change his attitude or perception some.

I agree, I am certainly not going to seek out ways to get ripped off, but if something does get stolen, I am covered at least. With that said, my tailgate doesn't have a step in it, so no one would probably want to steal it?

ryeabs

Reaction score
Nearby neighbor had their tailgate removed and thieves gone in about 30 seconds. They used a screwdriver to punch the lock .Broad daylight, parked on street, in busy neighborhood. All caught on cameras, but car had stolen temp plates on it. Nice area north of Houston Texas