Tailgate Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MORaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any trouble with their tailgate not opening after depressing the button on the actual tailgate? I have a 2018 with 80k miles and just started having an issue with the tailgate not opening after pressing the button on the tailgate. I can hear it trying to open, but it doesn't. If I push the button twice on my key fob, again I can hear it try to release but it does not open. So far, what did allow it to open is starting the truck and then hitting the key fob twice. To date, it has been random, I can go a few days with no issues - it doesn't matter the pitch of the truck (parked uphill or downhill) sometimes it works as designed and other times I have to jump through hoops to get it to open.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try lubing the latches ln both sides. if you can hear it trying to work, then im guessing its struggling to open. usual cause is because of dirt buildup in the latches.

Jlohknox

Reaction score
The actuator went out on mine 2018 with 48,000 miles covered under warranty. There’s a post somewhere on this forum with the part number if you wanted to try to replace it yourself. If you can get the tailgate open and takeoff the panel you will be able to see what is happening with the actuator when you press the button on the remote for on the tailgate.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
The actuator went out on mine 2018 with 48,000 miles covered under warranty. There’s a post somewhere on this forum with the part number if you wanted to try to replace it yourself. If you can get the tailgate open and takeoff the panel you will be able to see what is happening with the actuator when you press the button on the remote for on the tailgate.
Mine too take it in it was fast in and out. 17 with about 20-30,000 miles then.

OP
OP
MORaptor

MORaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - taking it in for other work in a couple of weeks, I will have them look at it.
I do have a tonneau cover, I have made sure it is not pressing down with too much pressure to keep it from releasing. What makes no sense, if I start the truck and hit the remote twice, it opens right up.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 801a and there was a recall on mine for the tailgate latch. Not sure if that's the case for you, but worth a shot asking your dealer.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine in for a different recall and they “fixed” my tailgate for me at the same time since there was a recall on it I guess. Was operating fine for me and still is, but may be worth looking into to see if it’s covered

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine in for a different recall and they “fixed” my tailgate for me at the same time since there was a recall on it I guess. Was operating fine for me and still is, but may be worth looking into to see if it’s covered
What year is yours?

Ozark427

Reaction score
You stated that it works fine if the truck is running. After ensuring there is no binding and all parts are lubed, I would look into getting the battery tested as electronic strikes pull an extremely large amount of inrush current which might not be available if your battery is marginal.