Tailgate Delete with ForScan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benzfanatical

Reaction score
Greetings Raptor Advice Gods,

In an absolute affront to all things Raptor, I use mine for regular overland travel. They are actually a pretty good overland rig choice, with some re-springing. But that's not what I'm here to get in a kerfluffle about today. As you can see by my photo, while everyone has been obsessing about the deletion of the tailgate applique, I have deleted my entire tailgate. The tailgate removal facilitated the installation of my Four Wheel Camper Raven onto my Gen 3 Raptor. It's a big chonky at 1000lbs(ish) but with some new springs soon, I'll be fine. I've used the spring collars for now to get some height, so I'm not dragging too bad. Someday when an airbag kit comes out, I may go that route. Background complete.

Now on to my issue. I need to remove the tailgate from the programming of the truck, or at least trick the truck into thinking it's closed. The truck thinks its open, but its not. The alarm, door locks, and rearview camera systems are all very unhappy. I did buy a camera relocation kit for the embedded rear unit and mounted it at approximately the right height, but with the tailgate seemingly open, I'm unable to do several key things.

I'm fairly handy with ForScan, or I could even make a jumper somewhere if I need to. Any advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2022-08-20 19.41.21.jpg
    2022-08-20 19.41.21.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 2022-08-20 11.44.41.jpg
    2022-08-20 11.44.41.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck should have come with a blank off plug in the glove box. That blank will go where you disconnected the tailgate harness, it should allow the tailgate ajar and other functions to be deleted. Not 100% sure how it will effect the camera function. With the plug blank in, it may not allow an image to be displayed on the screen for the rear.…even if you wire in a bypass. But it would be a start.

OP
OP
benzfanatical

benzfanatical

Reaction score
The truck should have come with a blank off plug in the glove box. That blank will go where you disconnected the tailgate harness, it should allow the tailgate ajar and other functions to be deleted. Not 100% sure how it will affect the camera function. With the plug blank in, it may not allow an image to be displayed on the screen for the rear.…even if you wire in a bypass. But it would be a start.
Thank you!

I should have mentioned this in my post. I did find the package with the plugs. I originally installed all of the plugs in the package except for the camera. They appear to be dust caps and didn’t lock the tailgate out that I could see.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Greetings Raptor Advice Gods,

In an absolute affront to all things Raptor, I use mine for regular overland travel. They are actually a pretty good overland rig choice, with some re-springing. But that's not what I'm here to get in a kerfluffle about today. As you can see by my photo, while everyone has been obsessing about the deletion of the tailgate applique, I have deleted my entire tailgate. The tailgate removal facilitated the installation of my Four Wheel Camper Raven onto my Gen 3 Raptor. It's a big chonky at 1000lbs(ish) but with some new springs soon, I'll be fine. I've used the spring collars for now to get some height, so I'm not dragging too bad. Someday when an airbag kit comes out, I may go that route. Background complete.

Now on to my issue. I need to remove the tailgate from the programming of the truck, or at least trick the truck into thinking it's closed. The truck thinks its open, but its not. The alarm, door locks, and rearview camera systems are all very unhappy. I did buy a camera relocation kit for the embedded rear unit and mounted it at approximately the right height, but with the tailgate seemingly open, I'm unable to do several key things.

I'm fairly handy with ForScan, or I could even make a jumper somewhere if I need to. Any advice?

Thanks!
Sweet setup!

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I should have mentioned this in my post. I did find the package with the plugs. I originally installed all of the plugs in the package except for the camera. They appear to be dust caps and didn’t lock the tailgate out that I could see.
Wow. So they must have changed the caps recently. So what you’ll need to do is create a jumper harness for the plugs or The sensors and tailgate ajar can be removed with IDS, a dealer should be able to do that for you. The jumper harness would allow you to be out the tailgate back on whenever you want without another trip to the dealer. There isn’t a way to disable the rear camera since it’s a federal mandate.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I could look around. There should be a setting in the BCM for amount of doors. Your should be listed as 5. Changing that to 4 might do the trick. Do you have power liftgate?

Last edited:

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all else fails, could you remove the sensors/harness from the tailgate and just dummy mount it in your truck somewhere?

MrHomeGuy

Reaction score
I removed my tail gate and purchased a Ford Factory camera and harness. Made some slight modifications and installed the camera on rear of the Scout camper and plugged the harness into the stock tail gate connection. Functions as OEM with camera displaying on OEM screen. This cost a lot less then the Rostra relocation kit. Purchased just the camera housing and modified with a dremel and super glue. Tail gate removal adds 120 pounds to the payload capacity. Able to keep the rear camera with tail gate removed. There are options to mount cameras on the license plate frame as well but I wanted more of a birds eye view like the OEM height.