GEN 2 Tailgate Damaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I left for work this morning and hit the button for the garage door it sounded like it was coming off the rails. Turns out the tailgate on my 2018 Raptor was open and dragged against the door as it opened. Left a huge, deep gash in the handle, surrounding piece and the plastic tailgate cap.

I assumed I had inadvertently pushed the tailgate button on the fob while it was in my pocket. I have set off the panic alarm in a similar manner a few times.

I stopped at the dealership on the way to work to get an estimate on repairs and they said "Let's scan it and see if your truck is on the TSB for unintended tailgate opening". Turns out there is a known issue with the tailgates popping open on 2015-2018 F150s built in Dearborn March 18, 2014 through October 22, 2018 and Kansas City August 11, 2014 through November 5, 2018.

They are going to repair the damage at no cost to me and modify the tailgate wiring harnesses to keep it from happening again.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else has is affected. More info on the TSB here https://ford.oemdtc.com/6556/custom...ntended-tailgate-opening-2015-2018-ford-f-150

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me. I was walking out to the garage one morning and was like what the hell is wrong with my garage door.

This is great information. I'll definitely contact my dealer and see what they say. Thanks!

IMG_1115.jpg

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird.

I had this on my 2018 last year. Scratched the plastic pad and tailgate handle. I didn't think that I hit the tailgate button but just assumed I messed up and hit the wrong button. I wish you could check by VIN

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been very slightly concerned about this myself, since it would do the exact same thing.

What I do to avoid pressing the button accidently is I hang my keys up by the door.

if it opens all by itself, totally different story. Think I might put something on the garage door to pad that area just in case.

damn i'd be PISSED