GEN 2 Tailgate Costs (I need a new one)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s my plan. Just curious if I could switch to the appliqué tailgate, if it’s the same cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely could if you want to, the appraiser will write to repair it as it is now and usually you just cover the difference. You will have a little more into it. I just looked it up, the applique alone is $1229 list from Ford - The tailgate shell with applique is $70 more. I would say you would have to pay roughly $1300 to up get the applique gate, unless the body shop is willing to hook you up with their discount then you could save a little.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A tailgate is easily $5K+ nowadays if you piece it together with new parts form Ford, then paint it to match. Shell, internals, steps, power down, emblems, cameras, electric gate release, lights, and the $1K "applique". What a stupid ******* name.

With all the parking lot hits and rear end collisions from cell phone using drivers, the insurance might start jumping up on these trucks quite a bit simply due to tailgates becoming so crazy expensive compared to any other panel on the truck, while at the same time being one of the most frequently damaged parts as well.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tailgate is easily $5K+ nowadays if you piece it together with new parts form Ford, then paint it to match. Shell, internals, steps, power down, emblems, cameras, electric gate release, lights, and the $1K "applique". What a stupid ******* name.

With all the parking lot hits and rear end collisions from cell phone using drivers, the insurance might start jumping up on these trucks quite a bit simply due to tailgates becoming so crazy expensive compared to any other panel on the truck, while at the same time being one of the most frequently damaged parts as well.

This is true - the platinum, limited, king ranch ones sell used for up to $2500 on super duty trucks

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tailgate is approaching $5K nowadays if you piece it together with new parts form Ford, then paint it to match.

Just wait until the power-up, transformer type tailgates start needing replacements. With all the parking lot hits and rear end collisions from cell phone using drivers, the insurance might start jumping up on these trucks quite a bit simply due to tailgates becoming so crazy expensive compared to any other panel on the truck, while at the same time being one of the most frequently damaged parts as well.

I remember back in 2015 when the aluminum body trucks came out people in the collision industry were saying the same thing about repair costs and insurance rates going up. It really wasn’t a big deal other than having to install a specific aluminum body repair bay to avoid contamination. That setup cost most mainline body shops under $100K to set up initially and are seldom used today.

The GMC fold down tailgates are very expensive. When they were first released a customer pulled out of the dealer with their new truck and was immediately rear ended, smashing the tailgate, rear bumper, bedsides, etc. The truck was still there for a second visit of mine (3 months apart) with everything fixed except the tailgate, the body shop manager told me the folding tailgate wasn’t available and when it was the parts alone were going to be $4600. The customer refused to take the truck back until it was completely fixed, he was trying to get the truck bought back.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That was all speculation about repairing aluminum panels though.

This ain't speculation. The gates ARE expensive and they ARE damaged/stolen frequently. The fancy gates will drive up insurance costs in time, but whatever, people will pay it to have the truck they want. The tailgates are way more complex than a door already, or any other part of the body for that matter. The tailgate wars are just getting started too.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgates usually cant be repaired from big impacts like this. There are structural crossmembers inside the tailgate that get bent and lose their strength. This is important because the tailgate is a loading feature to help load items into the bed of the truck

OP
OP
dmb359

dmb359

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the guy was driving? It looks like you got hit by a dump truck on your bumper, or is it that fragile? Hope it works out well for you, that really sucks.

a 1999 4-Runner.
it was a kid (I don't know how old) and his dad in it. I talked to the dad briefly after I got his note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free