Tailgate appliqué installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last thing I noticed. The 3M windshield urethane is super thick, I initially tried to use my manual caulk gun but one pump was only getting me about a 1/2” bead of sealant….I ended up using a Milwaukee M12 caulk gun that I luckily had lying around and that knocked it out in like 30 seconds.
When a glass shop uses the urethane they keep them in a warmer that is about 100-110 degrees. They also use the electric guns.

will535

Reaction score
@Lanthas and @JordanSmith127 Hey guys. My truck and OEM appliqué are both arriving this week and I'll be doing this method of installation as well. How's it holding up so far since the installation? Im In OC, CA so I don't think weather will be a big deal here. Thanks!!

Reaction score
@Lanthas and @JordanSmith127 Hey guys. My truck and OEM appliqué are both arriving this week and I'll be doing this method of installation as well. How's it holding up so far since the installation? Im In OC, CA so I don't think weather will be a big deal here. Thanks!!
Holding up great. The only thing I have noticed is in a couple spots the windshield adhesive did not adhere to the appliqué once it dried. It still adds a “cushion” between the edge of the appliqué and the tailgate, however, if I look at it with a light I can see that it only bonded to the truck. Still plenty strong with the rest of the adhesive that did adhere and 3M tape. I would recommend trying to use the adhesion promoter where you apply the windshield adhesive on the appliqué…I think that would have solved the problem. Lastly, I did not use clamps like Lanthas because I did not have wide enough ones, so that could have been the issue also.

Attachments

• 866A409A-D334-4FF6-9D1A-27C364EA4C78.jpeg
    866A409A-D334-4FF6-9D1A-27C364EA4C78.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 61

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt know their was still a shortage . Seems every 2023 I see listed online for sale has the applique. Or did you guys get your trucks a while back when they were backordered?

Lanthas

Reaction score
Yeah my truck was an early '22 model when the applique was constrained still. Definitely recommend those clamps that expand enough to go around the tailgate when its down and adhesion promoter. Could probably also get away with using some wood or something to run the distance of the tailgate to hold both sides and the backing of the applique for better adhesion. Mine is still holding up well, so I don't think you'll have any issues once its all dried. Make sure you painters tape off the paint as well so you can get a good clean seal without making a mess.

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my truck was an early '22 model when the applique was constrained still. Definitely recommend those clamps that expand enough to go around the tailgate when its down and adhesion promoter. Could probably also get away with using some wood or something to run the distance of the tailgate to hold both sides and the backing of the applique for better adhesion. Mine is still holding up well, so I don't think you'll have any issues once its all dried. Make sure you painters tape off the paint as well so you can get a good clean seal without making a mess.
Roger that. Im planning on ordering a 24, so hopefully their stocked back up and mine will come with it.

Rappin37

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember that if you have someone drill holes and you have water issues it’s on you , definitely get it glued on other options stronger than 3m , I can’t see 3m holding it correctly.

Viewsflores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m planning on installing my appliqué in the coming weeks any tips or updates you guys would change? From the people who already have it installed.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a used OEM Gen3 tailgate applique in the factory box ill be posting later once I get home and take pictures. Nothings wrong with it. Unless somebody wants to throw an offer now.