Tailgate Ajar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VrRotate

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I have a ‘22 and the power tailgate has stopped working and won’t unlatch at all. I’ve noticed it looks like it’s because the truck thinks it’s already open. The tailgate ajar warning and light is on all the time, even with it closed.

Anybody know where this sensor/harness is located or have any idea the cause?

Thanks,
Mark

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I have a ‘22 and the power tailgate has stopped working and won’t unlatch at all. I’ve noticed it looks like it’s because the truck thinks it’s already open. The tailgate ajar warning and light is on all the time, even with it closed.

Anybody know where this sensor/harness is located or have any idea the cause?

Thanks,
Mark
Unplug the wire harness under the truck coming from the tailgate. You’ll see it coming through the back bumper, should be 2 or 3 plugs. It will reset it and should work. Put the key far away just to be safe, it can mess up a sensor calibration if the keys close by.

The tailgate is probably not completely latched even if it’s in the closed position. That’s why your getting the tailgate ajar warning.

Sleepy996

Reaction score
Having the same issue with my new truck as well. I'll try unplugging the harness tonight and report back. Thanks

Adrenlin

Reaction score
I was having problems with my tailgate not working. It was an intermittent issue. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't open or close no matter whether I used the key, tailgate button, or dash button. I even had an instance where the truck indicated it was open when I was going down the road even though it was closed.

First time I went to the dealership, they pinpointed the tailgate module and replaced it. However, the problem continued and got worse.

The truck went back to the shop. This time around they performed some more diagnostics that led them to the Gateway Module under the dash. There's a fair amount of trim that needs to be removed to access it. Apparently it was loosely connected, but not latched from the factory. Something to be aware of if you're having power tailgate issues.

Wallybosch

Reaction score
I had my dealer take my truck to
Line-X before I took delivery and my tailgate ajar was on also. I ended up moving the tailgate latch bolts back about 1/8 inch and that’s all it took to make the ajar light go off. I’m sure the Line-x was getting in the way of the tailgate closing all the way. If I get time I will be taking back to Line-x and have them take a look at it.
Did you get a spray in bed liner done?

OP
OP
V

VrRotate

Reaction score
I did get it Line-X’d about a month ago and it’s just starting to do it but could just be getting loose. I will try to move the latch bolts in to make it tighter when closed.

I checked the harnesses and all are good and made no difference.

Will report back!

chadinokc

Reaction score
Hey there, sorry for bringing up an old post, but I have a 2023 and started having this issue today. Truck only has 320 miles on it. I will check the bedliner and make sure its not causing an issue. Anything else that anyone found out after the fact? I don't have a bedcover yet.

Adrenlin

Reaction score
Hey there, sorry for bringing up an old post, but I have a 2023 and started having this issue today. Truck only has 320 miles on it. I will check the bedliner and make sure its not causing an issue. Anything else that anyone found out after the fact? I don't have a bedcover yet.
There is a tailgate module which is what they tried to pin it on during my first trip to the dealership. It's also a relatively easy part swap, but if it's a 2023, it's under warranty. I'd take it in and let the dealership deal with it. It isn't worth it for you to troubleshoot outside of visibility checking it to obvious interference issues.