t_j's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice cap, nice rack, and nice bumpers.
The truck has been completely transformed.

Did you mount your radio antenna on your ARE cap?

Thanks, not yet, my current plan is to build a nmo mount into the rack on the cap, or to put one on the rack on the cab.

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More bumper progress!

Trailer plug bracket:

88sSg0C.jpg

BtZK1op.jpg

Finish applied:

j4fdWRO.jpg

qtkOaTN.jpg

kPf8mTk.jpg

Finish is 2 coats U-Pol #8 acid etch primer, 2 coats U-Pol black raptor liner, 2 coats Por-15 gloss black top coat. End finish mimics Line-x premium that is on the other parts of the truck.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
t_j,
Unless POR 15 has changed, it is NOT for a top coat. It needs to be sealed and protected form UV and the elements. I epoxy primed and painted my frame on my "55 Dodge PowerWagon". Later epoxy primed and POR 15 top coated a crossmember. 1 year later it, (the cross member), had chalked and you could rub off the POR 15.
It NEEDS to be top coated!

Eddie

Attachments

• F21.jpg
    F21.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
t_j,
Unless POR 15 has changed, it is NOT for a top coat. It needs to be sealed and protected form UV and the elements. I epoxy primed and painted my frame on my "55 Dodge PowerWagon". Later epoxy primed and POR 15 top coated a crossmember. 1 year later it, (the cross member), had chalked and you could rub off the POR 15.
It NEEDS to be top coated!

Eddie

Yes you are correct por-15 undercoat requires a UV stable top coat. You probably used this coating:

POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating

They offer a number of options for UV stable top coats designed to used over their rust preventative coating:

POR-15® Top Coat

I used the gloss black aerosol top coat, I have used the undercoat with chassis black top coat before and it holds up extremely well so I used there gloss top coat and am hoping for the same long lasting results.