T-case shift motor replacement??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am pretty sure my tcase shift motor has gone gunnybag on me. The ones I see online do not show the blue wire that goes into the output area of the tcase near the rear driveshaft. This wire also does not appear to easily unplug. I do not mind splicing a new one if necessary but I do not want to end up with a new motor that doesn't have that extra wire.

I am looking at the dorman 600-928 which is listed in several places as the right part. It is about half the price of the Ford part, which I like. Does anybody have experience with this repair? Do I have to buy the Ford part? Do I have to splice the extra wire which is in a loom by itself but fed into the main connector?

Super easy job but I don't want to hassle with getting the wrong shift motor. The used ones I see have the extra wire, and they just cut it.

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like you remove the wire from the old connector and insert it into the one on the new shift motor. Screen shots from the 2014 manual:

Remove the coil wire pin from the electrical connector.
1 Remove the inner retainer from the wire connector.
2 Press the release tab and remove the coil wire pin.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).jpg
    Screenshot (10).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot (11).jpg
    Screenshot (11).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowsled

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that is the procedure. Thanks for the reply. I had figured it out after I posted and the part arrived today. I should be back in 4wd by the weekend!

OP
OP
Snowsled

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New motor installed, swapping the speed sensor wire was easy, bolting up the new motor was easy as well. The housing needed a slight adjustment to hit all three positions. Took me a couple attempts but it works like it should again!