synthetic oil for trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glassman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my trans serviced by trans shop they stated that they were going to replace oil with synthetic now have load sound coming from trans. Is this due to synthetic oil or something else ?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not using the recommended Ford ATF specifications is a bad idea!
Unless you've rebuilt it with custom bands and servos, valve body mods, etc.

The old trick back in the day was using Ford's ATF in GM, Dodge etc. If you wanted better times at the track.
Ford's ATF has the best abrasive, anti-foaming, high temp additives in the market.

Last edited:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
What did they use? It has to meet the Ford spec for our trucks, Mercon SV, I believe.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
tbone is right - it's Mercon LV.
Glassman, you need to find out what they put in your truck and you don't need to drive it until you know. If they didn't use a transmission fluid that meets the Mercon LV spec, they need to do a complete flush and replace with the correct fluid.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Yea like others have said, get that checked asap. Ask what fluid they put in, and have them check it for proper fluid level as well, which is equally as important.

I'm running AMSOIL f.e. ATF (mercon LV spec) and my trans runs über smooth. And dropped an average of 8-10° on temps, and noticed that even when running hard, if temps spike to 230ish they drop back down to 195 in no time compared to OEM fluid.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea like others have said, get that checked asap. Ask what fluid they put in, and have them check it for proper fluid level as well, which is equally as important.

Right on. Don't ask them if the fluid they used is Mercon LV spec, ask them what they used. If they have a bottle of it, read the label.

I'm running AMSOIL f.e. ATF (mercon LV spec) and my trans runs über smooth. And dropped an average of 8-10° on temps, and noticed that even when running hard, if temps spike to 230ish they drop back down to 195 in no time compared to OEM fluid.

I am also running AMSOIL Mercon LV synthetic. I installed a deeper pan with cooling fins at the same time, so I can't say whether the results I've seen relate more to the fluid or the pan, but I have seen favorable results.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not using the recommended Ford ATF is a bad idea!
Unless you've rebuilt it with custom bands and servos, valve body mods, etc.

The old trick back in the day was using Ford's ATF in GM, Dodge etc. If you wanted better times at the track.
Ford's ATF has the best abrasive, anti-foaming, high temp additives in the market.

You are out of your tree. Change every domestic vehicle I have owned including the Raptor to Amsoil -- never had a problem. Stick to what you know about. Making statements out of your rear is funny but some people may believe that crap lol. I drive in some of the worst conditions that exist for vehicles not NYC lol.

Last edited: