Sync screen not dimming in night mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EV2DEMON

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a setting I'm missing or what, but my Sync screen is not dimming automatically when in night mode. When I start the truck in the dark, the screen will have the black background, but it's in full brightness. It's not until I use the dimmer adjustment on the dash that it darkens to an acceptable level for night driving. Adjusting the brightness level via the screen does not seem to effect the level it defaults to at start up.

Am I missing something?

bdesim2

Reaction score
Seems to be a bug in the software. Touch the dinner in any direction and it will apply last setting. Mine does this too... very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
why year / version of Sync3? My 2017 does this after a battery reset, but then once the dimmer adjustment is made, the sync screen obeys the dimmer “setting”, such as it is.

bdesim2

Reaction score
I have a 2018 with latest sync 3 update. Mine does this on startup of the truck when it’s dark. As soon as I touch the dimmer it goes back to its previous setting.

If I start the truck and it’s light and then gets dark, the dinner automatically takes last dark setting. (Works as expected)

I think ford just missed this case in their software testing. Would be nice if they can fix it in an update :)

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2018 with latest sync 3 update. Mine does this on startup of the truck when it’s dark. As soon as I touch the dimmer it goes back to its previous setting.

If I start the truck and it’s light and then gets dark, the dinner automatically takes last dark setting. (Works as expected)

I think ford just missed this case in their software testing. Would be nice if they can fix it in an update :)

This function was removed for some stupid reason in the last sync update.
You used to be able to put it in night mode and it would dim with the gauges. Now it doesn’t dim at all

Vintabu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the sync 3 and the dimming is kinda wonky now. Might take it to the dealer.

Not really seeing any benefits of updating the sync at this point

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s a bug, plain and simple. Mine does it too.

Myth confirmed. I dimmed the dash down for some night travel and there was the sync screen when I came out to leave, bright as ****. sure enough, any dash adjustment, and it honors the dash dimmer setting. So, I hand over pilot duty to SWMO (she who must obey) and she quipped “I really like that navigation screen that’s so bright. It makes it easy to see”...

what can I say, she’s awesome, but will never be mistaken for a car, truck, or motorcycle enthusiast. I mean, she was correct but yeah, there’s some kind of sync bug here.

bdesim2

Reaction score
I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find a place to report the bug to fords software teams. If anyone knows if ford has a spot to post this I’ll be happy to do it and provide the details. Maybe it can be fixed in the next update. I know it sure annoys the **** out of me.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a setting I'm missing or what, but my Sync screen is not dimming automatically when in night mode. When I start the truck in the dark, the screen will have the black background, but it's in full brightness. It's not until I use the dimmer adjustment on the dash that it darkens to an acceptable level for night driving. Adjusting the brightness level via the screen does not seem to effect the level it defaults to at start up.

Am I missing something?
Do you have auto dim turned on? It's the very last setting under display settings. I just went and checked mine. I have auto brightness turned off because I like the screen bright.