GEN 1 Sync crashing- any thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started a long road trip last week. On the onset, everything was fine. Stereo working fine, Nav working fine, etc. probably 2 hours in on day one, Nav just couldn’t find itself. Then when selecting Nav mode, Nav would basically fail and the screen would return to the home screen. Nav no longer displayed the basic what road you are on info on the home screen, but the compass still worked. After a while, maybe 30 minutes, the raptor logo flashed and the entire system rebooted to the Scheduled Sync Maintenance in Progress screen.

After a couple minutes the system came back on, but Nav still failed. I removed my phone and plug from the outlet. Tried reseating the map card. Stopped for gas, and hoped it would be fixed with the power cycle. At the time, the truck had the SVC tune. After day 1, I returned the tune to stock, but nothing changed. In fact, day two the full shit down/ Sync maintenance in progress rebooting thing would happen more and more often. As often as every 30 minutes became the highest frequency.

I stopped at a ford dealer at an overnight destination, and was told they could maybe look at it in three days... so pound sand essentially. Guy said try disconnecting battery. So, when I got to my destination, we popped the battery terminals off for a good hour. Reconnecting the battery, no change. NAV still couldn’t find itself.

At irregular times when the system was about to crash, a windows type dialogue box would display saying application error in the title, and “Application Desktop.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down.” I’ll attach the picture hopefully.

So after some light mountain road driving “you can’t call it off roading when you are driving on a road, crappy as it may be) randomly today the current location displayed on the home screen Nav section. Thinking my problem was resolved, I selected Nav... and the system crashed again. On reboot it again never displayed current location info.

I’ve been a member here a while, and can’t remember seeing this issue. Searching yielded mostly Gen2 camera issues.

Hoping anybody has any thoughts or experience with this issue. Thanks in advance8CF58EE2-D61F-44AC-A8C5-C5118E017DD3.jpeg

OP
OP
just Mike

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, not good that nobody has any ideas on this one. Headed to the dealer Monday. Good thing that warranty extension for sync APIM just came out.
Now my advancetrac is going crazy too. What the hell 2020?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked the GPS antenna connection, the GPS antenna is located under the dash on the gen 1 and is considered a poor location signal strength wise. Your problem seems to be with the application though. I've not experienced either on my 14'. Hope the fix is an easy one.

Yamazuki

Reaction score
Do you have the newest sync software installed?

If not, you can get the most recent version by registering and plugging in your VIN at owner.ford.com.

Here's a vid explaining how to update the system

OP
OP
just Mike

just Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, dealer updated software and confirmed the APIM needs replacing. Which is convenient since they just notified me about the extended warranty period for a known issue... that has already lapsed.