Sync/Car Play Gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COHookEM

Reaction score
This may be unrelated, but since the problems began at the same time, I figured I’d share here in case anyone else has already overcome this issue.

1. CarPlay - audio frequently will freeze, blurrr… almost like when your CD used to skip. That alone isn’t a huge issue, but my call quality (I take business calls frequently when driving,) is AWFUL. I get the first 10-15 seconds to perform as expected, but once that timer is over, the call immediately goes into mega static mode and the calls are impossible.

2. When shifting into reverse, reverse camera may not pull up at all. Often times, when it does pull up, the image is frozen… meaning I could be 15 ft from a wall when the camera initially begins rendering and still have the exact same image on screen after reversing 10 feet.

OP
OP
COHookEM

COHookEM

Reaction score
And yes, I have performed the “reset” of the sync system by holding down the power and “fwd” buttons for 10 seconds.

The CarPlay is always via wireless, never wired, and worked as expected the first 5k miles. (Working with an IPhone 13 Pro)

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably time to make a service appointment for your sync system. Do you have full screen car play option? If not you do not have the latest software (Others like my self still do not have the latest). You can ask the SA - Service Advisor if they can update it and make sure to have the Tech check if there is an update available for the Gateway Module (GWM) and APIM.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many issues are attributed to the device being used, the software it’s running, and the apps on it. The device is the variable, not Sync.

Pair a known good device to the system and see if the issues occur. “Known good” meaning wireless CarPlay functions properly on other Fire/Lincoln vehicles with Sync 4.

gjw535

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me with android auto immediately following receiving OTA update 4.2.2. I noticed it also happens when my car display switched from light/day mode to dark/night mode. I eventually set the display to only display in dark/night mode and since then I have not had the main screen freeze when the camera comes on. Unfortunately the same day I made that change I also received OTA update 4.2.4 so I can't say which actually fixed the problem for me.