Sync 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the larger question is: Who the hell uses the Ford apps? I've never once found something useful. Maybe I'm missing out?

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally understand. Thats why you select this icon and the "card-view" will collapse. But only if you are looking at the nav map on Ford, Apple CP, or Andriod Auto will this icon be available.

That icon in Apple Maps isn’t a “full screen” icon. It’s a screen navigation icon.

Last edited:

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they will let you listen to the radio and use CarPlay navigation the split screen would be ok in that configuration. However that isn’t an option. Essentially Ford bastardized their beautiful 12” screen. When CarPlay is up it should fill the entire screen.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only briefly used the system test driving a 2021 f150 while dropping the check for the Raptor. I thought it was very user friendly and gives you the ability to have multiple screen like nav and music. I don't really need the entire 12 inches to stare at my app screen but then again I've never used Apple Car Play. I guess my question is do the people here that have car play use it all the time, even for nav? the Ford nav seems pretty good I don't need to waste data going through my phone

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only briefly used the system test driving a 2021 f150 while dropping the check for the Raptor. I thought it was very user friendly and gives you the ability to have multiple screen like nav and music. I don't really need the entire 12 inches to stare at my app screen but then again I've never used Apple Car Play. I guess my question is do the people here that have car play use it all the time, even for nav? the Ford nav seems pretty good I don't need to waste data going through my phone

Once you use CarPlay or Android Auto you’ll never go back. To me it seems silly to worry about wasting data when you’re dropping 70k + for a new truck. In fact I bet you’ll never use Ford’s nav unless you can’t get cell reception after using those. Even without reception as long as you start to your destination before you don’t have reception you’re usually fine.

CarPlay also gives you the option to have multiple screens like music and nav. It’s great. You can have Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music or whatever other music service you’re in to and whatever GPS service you like all on the same screen. It just seems like a waste to have it up on the CarPlay screen then have an additional navigation menu up to the right of that.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I live in the woods so service is hit or miss and quite frankly I don't like using my phone all the time (guess I am getting old in my mid 30's lol). Seems more convenient that the truck can take care of all that without having to access my phone. I appreciate the info! I might be over thinking it but i'll wait to see what I end up using. There TOO MANY MAP APPS lol Apple maps, Google Maps, Waze, Ford Nav - personal preference at that point?

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you use CarPlay or Android Auto you’ll never go back. To me it seems silly to worry about wasting data when you’re dropping 70k + for a new truck. In fact I bet you’ll never use Ford’s nav unless you can’t get cell reception after using those. Even without reception as long as you start to your destination before you don’t have reception you’re usually fine.
This is exactly right. Apple and Google know UIs. They can update at any time, tweaking and adding features. I know Ford will have OTA now, but how often do you see car UIs updated?

I don't know anyone that prefers the OEM UI over Apply CarPlay or Android Auto. I am actually surprised that OEMs are even still making nav interfaces anymore.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly right. Apple and Google know UIs. They can update at any time, tweaking and adding features. I know Ford will have OTA now, but how often do you see car UIs updated?

I don't know anyone that prefers the OEM UI over Apply CarPlay or Android Auto. I am actually surprised that OEMs are even still making nav interfaces anymore.
I’m very surprised that these manufacturers don’t sub out their software out to either Apple or Google or Both.

I look at Ford’s implementation of CarPlay is like Android and the skins that Samsung, Motorola HTC etc add on top of the pure Android software. This kinda bums me out quite a bit actually.

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I live in the woods so service is hit or miss and quite frankly I don't like using my phone all the time (guess I am getting old in my mid 30's lol). Seems more convenient that the truck can take care of all that without having to access my phone. I appreciate the info! I might be over thinking it but i'll wait to see what I end up using. There TOO MANY MAP APPS lol Apple maps, Google Maps, Waze, Ford Nav - personal preference at that point?

You’re kind of missing the point. You can leave you phone in your pocket and never touch it. You get free updates from the app developers. With CarPlay it’s like “your truck is taking care of all of that.” Let Ford build the truck and let Apple take care of the software. That’s what each of them do. I’ve never seen any auto manufacturer been quick to update their software or build good software for that matter.