Sync 4? Available for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New F150s are coming out with Sync 4 - is this available for us earlier owners (Gen2)? I can't find any support/upgrade info for Sync 3 folks.
Anyone know?

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
The new F150s are a 12” screen. Probably not going to work on the smaller screen with slower hardware.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an 8" version of Sync 4, but I don't know of anyone that has gotten it working yet. Some are working on it on the F150forums. I think there is a missing Canbus wire that Sync3 trucks don't have is one of the big problems they've run into so far.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
There is an 8" version of Sync 4, but I don't know of anyone that has gotten it working yet. Some are working on it on the F150forums. I think there is a missing Canbus wire that Sync3 trucks don't have is one of the big problems they've run into so far.
It would be great if they could make it work. The mew Sync 4 is pretty nice.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be great if they could make it work. The mew Sync 4 is pretty nice.
I don't the 8" has the side cards like the 12".. Just a refresh of Sync 3.4, but should give the ability for wireless carplay/android auto which I think is what most people want the upgrade for

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I don't the 8" has the side cards like the 12".. Just a refresh of Sync 3.4, but should give the ability for wireless carplay/android auto which I think is what most people want the upgrade for
I have wireless CarPlay. I ordered the dongle off of Amazon. Seems to work just fine.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
OP
OP
pastorwug

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The wireless carplay dongle is actually more reliable than a wired connection for me - the cables keep crapping out, need to flip them or change them and it was a PITA. This dongle works really well and if it ever sketches out, which is very infrequently, you literally just need to unplug the usb and replug it and it sorts itself out quickly.