Switched air filter (oiled to dry synthetic)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in TX where during the dry season the dust will tend to be rather powdery/fine vs. coarse.

Coarse dust packs an air filter (imagine talcum powder) and the micron size (10 microns)

My OEM did enough exhaustive testing of aftermarket air filters recently to shift me from an oiled to non-oiled filter. I am certain every manufacturer does similar. Ultimately cost has to win, even though I am a motorsports enthusiast.

K&N(r) owns AEM(r) and both brands make great filters. One is not better/worse.

Based on my analysis, I saw that for my desired fine dust filtration/airflow/maintenance needs the AEM is a better choice for me.

NOTE: For ethical reasons I will not ever state that one filter is better than the other, but I prefer the dry filter as it is superior for reasons that are my own.

View attachment 166428

I did the AEM almost two years ago for similar reasons, and have been very pleased with it.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the S&B intake with the oil/gauze filter that came with it, but I added the silky pre-filter that goes over the filter. It keeps a considerable amount of debris and dust from ever getting to my actual oiled filter. My oil stays clean for a good amount of time, so I'm pleased with it overall. When I need to replace the oiled filter, I may consider going to the dry one.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Yeah, no need for aftermarket airbox bling, so I have the AEM synthetic fiber filter in the OEM airbox.

On that note, I bought several items based on forum recommendations (airbox, turbo adapters, FMIC, 542 spark plugs, catch can setup, etc.), then sold them when I inspected them, compared them to the stock items and realized the OEM setup is functionally superior to the aftermarket parts. However, I've now bought (my 2nd) and installed another Mishimoto FMIC in preparation for the new CRP S5 turbos and exhaust manifolds I have waiting my time and motivation to install. The exhaust from the turbos back will remain stock...

Oh yeah, ethanol is a wonderful fuel for power...

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no need for aftermarket airbox bling, so I have the AEM synthetic fiber filter in the OEM airbox.

On that note, I bought several items based on forum recommendations (airbox, turbo adapters, FMIC, 542 spark plugs, catch can setup, etc.), then sold them when I inspected them, compared them to the stock items and realized the OEM setup is functionally superior to the aftermarket parts. However, I've now bought (my 2nd) and installed another Mishimoto FMIC in preparation for the new CRP S5 turbos and exhaust manifolds I have waiting my time and motivation to install. The exhaust from the turbos back will remain stock...

Let us know when you decide to sell all those trick parts.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

If you think the OEM IC is functionally superior to a FMIC there is no reasoning with you on anything.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
If you think the OEM IC is functionally superior to a FMIC there is no reasoning with you on anything.

With STOCK turbos, a new FMIC is a waste of money. Bigger turbos, it's practically a necessity, which is why I've installed the Mishimoto. It has made ZERO difference in the performance of my truck with the stock turbos. I currently own THREE turbocharged vehicles, with several more now sold. I FULLY understand the upgrade and tuning process. I do ALL my own work/tuning.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower temperature air.... The more dense. All the better. Stock turbos love cool dense air just as much as fat bigger turbos.

Last edited: