Switched air filter (oiled to dry synthetic)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in TX where during the dry season the dust will tend to be rather powdery/fine vs. coarse.

Coarse dust packs an air filter (imagine talcum powder) and the micron size (10 microns)

My OEM did enough exhaustive testing of aftermarket air filters recently to shift me from an oiled to non-oiled filter. I am certain every manufacturer does similar. Ultimately cost has to win, even though I am a motorsports enthusiast.

K&N(r) owns AEM(r) and both brands make great filters. One is not better/worse.

Based on my analysis, I saw that for my desired fine dust filtration/airflow/maintenance needs the AEM is a better choice for me.

NOTE: For ethical reasons I will not ever state that one filter is better than the other, but I prefer the dry filter as it is superior for reasons that are my own.

E7CA2F49-CD72-4BD5-90CA-551D793F2555.jpeg

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Agree. Just mowing my back yard can create a dust cloud that can be seen in San Antonio... :eek:

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@smurfslayer for a lawnmower, IMHO oiled foam is ideal as lawnmower engines have relatively high tolerances, low CFM needs, sharp blade matters more, etc. (and are cheap, non-turbo, etc). 10 microns particles in dust load the heck out of an air filter.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@smurfslayer for a lawnmower, IMHO oiled foam is ideal as lawnmower engines have relatively high tolerances (and are cheap, non-turbo, etc). 10 microns particles in dust load the heck out of an air filter.

My mower still has stock lightning. I’ll get to the filter once I’ve got that Onxy 6 hooked up ;-)

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Oiled closed-cell foam is in fact the "best" filtering/flow media. I've proven it (to myself) over time. However they are also the most maintenance intensive, so I also run the AEM Dry-Flow series filters which are the next best thing. For SURE the K&N oiled-gauze type will "flow" more air along with contaminants as well. This fact is also proven to myself, who is the only person that counts.

My ancient riding mower with a 16HP Kohler has a pleated-paper filter wrapped with an oiled-foam outer filter for the ultimate in filtration for a workhorse engine.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Closed cell foam is for sleeping bag pads not air filters. It’s the best filter because it’s literally closed and nothing, not even air passes through. I’m sure you meant something else.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of K&N’s filtration media. If you run one for awhile, you can remove the intake piping to the manifold, wipe your finger on the inside, and see a visible print. No bueno.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran K&N in my Sierra - pain in the ass to clean and need drying time. I don’t think K&N filters as good as oem based on my experience.

Maybe someone here can answer - is the oem MC air filter lightly oiled?

I noticed an oily residue on the plastic bag it came in.

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran K&N in my Sierra - pain in the ass to clean and need drying time. I don’t think K&N filters as good as oem based on my experience.

Maybe someone here can answer - is the oem MC air filter lightly oiled?

I noticed an oily residue on the plastic bag it came in.

I notice the same thing, hopefully someone here has the answer.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to Project Farm, WiX filters provde the best combination of air flow and filtration. I switched from MotorCraft to Wix. No issues.

If I recall correctly, these performance filters didn't stop anything in his testing.