GEN 1 Sway Bar vs. Traction Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbg-mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Gen1,

can you tell me what is the difference between these two parts?

I sometimes have problem when towing a trailer that it feel like the rear axle is moving.

So now I don‘t know which of these parts are helping to stop that.

Thank you

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A sway bar connects the body to the suspension. It also connects one side of the axle/suspension to the other side.

A traction bar attaches from the frame to the leaf spring and prevents vertical movement of the spring under acceleration, typically preventing a weak leaf spring from "wrapping" and creating axle hop and a loss of traction.

The only way your axle can move is up and down. The side to side is controlled by the leaf springs. The axle is bolted to the leafs. The leafs do not deflect sideways. It cannot move front to back for the same reason.

Not sure what your issue is. Have you checked you tongue weight/load distribution of the trailer?

Reaction score
Anti-Sway bar equals just that, it reduces body roll from side to side.
Traction bars, should induce traction; By eliminating wheel hop, axle wrap. They should NEVER restrict movement, dictate pinion angle or change the center line of the rear wheel.
Traction bars, should never have a loaded spring inside a bar, as that creates the opposite issue of axle wrap.

Check out Rogue Racing's solution for this.

Induces front traction while on the gas, also helps lift the front end during heavy compression.
Completely eliminates axle wrap, with OEM or Aftermarket leaf over setups. Works with most spring manufacturers.
Simple bolt on installation, that will not dictate any rear axle center-line geometry over 19" of travel.

##Roguelife

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

Reaction score
Hi Gen1,

can you tell me what is the difference between these two parts?

I sometimes have problem when towing a trailer that it feel like the rear axle is moving.

So now I don‘t know which of these parts are helping to stop that.

Thank you

To answer your question, it is. Leaf springs inherently allow side movement no matter what.

Can be fixed, with a "panhard bar" or a true link setup.

You could also throw shackles and leaf springs at it, then replace all the bushings to a delrin type bushing to massively improve the issue you are having.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are going to need to tell us more about your situation. What are you towing? How heavy is it? What is the rough tongue weight of the trailer? Do you have a weight distribution setup?

I don't think your issue is your sway bar and you don't have a traction bar in a stock set up.

OP
OP
N

nbg-mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have to explain it better and I used the wrong word.
The problem I have is axle wrap. My setup is Fox 3.0 front and rear and rear Deaver +3

Deaver +3 is to hard, I will go back to stock leafs. Or maybe Icon Leafs, from what I heard, they are softer.

So what you guys wrote is, that Sway Bar is for handling and traction bar is for axle wrap.

About the trailer, I stay in Germany and here the trailer don‘t have trailer hitch etc.

But all together, I think have to go back to softer leafs and traction bar.

Daniel

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First there are a lot of factors when towing to keep the truck safe and ride correctly.
Your going to need to research, mostly tongue weight is important for the most part.
Too much or too little weight affects the ride greatly.

Plenty of threads with guys towing and sharing their experiences on this forum.

I highly recommend the sway-bar, it helps a lot with the rear of the truck wondering side to side when changing lanes and cornering.
Fairly cheap modification with big benefits.

Rogue Racing Traction bars are nice too, and the price dropped to $1,500

Camburg rear spring shackles will help with side to side motion.

I run all three and they all help with handling on the street and highway.

Deavers springs are the same stiffness between +2 and +3 unless you order heavy duty ones.

Stock springs are not softer.

Fox 3.0s are much stiffer then the 2.0s

You can setup the Fox 3.0 to be close to as soft as the stock shock 2.0 setup.
This is what most says at least, some that did the upgrade to 3.0 say it's just not as soft.
There are a few Vendors on here that can help you, like SVC, RPG....ect.

Tires:
You have to learn when to air down and up.
With no weight in the bed and not towing I run 35 psi. in the back tires and 38 psi. in the fronts.
Anything above that will making the truck jumpy when empty.
When towing air back up to 42-44 psi.

Last edited: