Sway bar removal pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The additional preload on the front springs by being on top perch definitely makes a difference.

I have had EVERY combination of sways bars on the Raptor..

Stock front, no rear
No front, no rear
Aftermarket front, no rear
Aftermarket front, and rear
No front, and aftermarket rear
Stock front, and aftermarket rear

Each setup has a purpose and changes the handling of the Raptor.

For the Bullrun, I tried each of the setups around the same section of mix highway, gravel, high speed turns and city streets.

The final set up after all of this......

STOCK FRONT AND NO REAR

It gave the most predictable handling, ride comfort, and cornering.

Yes, the aftermarket all the way around was the best for high speed maneuvering. BUT worst ride, very touchy as far as over steer in wet conditions, and restricted articulation.

I was going to do a write up on each and every set up.. I just ran out of time getting ready to leave..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I have a combined 90,000 miles on Raptprs with no sway bars. Handles great and I've been in a few close calls. It's not a straight axle jeep with 18" of rock crawling travel. It has 11" of travel and it's 90+ inches wide. It's not a trophy truck with 24+ inches of travel.

6.2 you are really tiring into a ****. I understand your issue with MMD (even though i disagree) but to call out Big J is a little out of line. Big J could ruin you intellectually and physically. You really should slow your roll.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I wanna do high-er speed drifting I dial up the icons a bit in the front. Usually to 2 or 3 depending on what my tire psi is. It really helps control any excessive over steer. I think it's impossible to say whether someone should run one or not, way too many variables at play; amount of weight in the bed, tires and tire psi, shock type, ride height, sc vs cc, drivers preference, etc. really just needs to be experimented by each person. No shame in leaving it on, it won't make it any less of an off roader.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I ran it both ways with my stock suspension and preferred off. Seemed more fun.

I need to experiment now that I'm running the 3.0's. I put it back on when I switched over.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a combined 90,000 miles on Raptprs with no sway bars. Handles great and I've been in a few close calls. It's not a straight axle jeep with 18" of rock crawling travel. It has 11" of travel and it's 90+ inches wide. It's not a trophy truck with 24+ inches of travel.

6.2 you are really tiring into a ****. I understand your issue with MMD (even though i disagree) but to call out Big J is a little out of line. Big J could ruin you intellectually and physically. You really should slow your roll.

Very well put but I did not see his post because "Ford Ranger Man" is on ignore... Poor kid is way out of his element..

Try running the big tires on extended highway runs at 80+. Even the wear patterns caused by the big boys can get sporty.

Last edited:

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best way to end this debate would be for a vendor to make a quick disconnect swaybar. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Fo Sho... Although it's not too hard to disconnect yourself, a purpose built quick disconnect would sell like hotcakes!