GEN 2 Swapping tailgates ... to flex step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to do the Ruby’s switch , except it only works on a 802 and I have a 801.

Do you have the diagrams for the lift gate? I was going to buy the parts, they all go inside, if I can get the part number. Then swap out the parts, add in rubys switch and get a tail gate release.

torsion rod is already installed to take up the extra weight

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to do the Ruby’s switch , except it only works on a 802 and I have a 801.

Do you have the diagrams for the lift gate? I was going to buy the parts, they all go inside, if I can get the part number. Then swap out the parts, add in rubys switch and get a tail gate release.

torsion rod is already installed to take up the extra weight

Any thoughts?

Flex step and non-flex step tailgates are
Not compatible for adding the step.

Both have the channels for the stripper pole and the step supports, but the non flex step tailgate has a welded piece of sheet metal across the top under the plastic trim. I tried that route first...

Edit: You could add the step with some metal work for the step and for where the supports bilt to the tailgate, but you’d still need to buy the step itself plus the plastic “cup” it sits in as well as the top trim pieces.

You can buy all the parts necessary to build your own, but probably easier/faster to start with a tailgate off a wrecked truck or one where the tailgate was replaced with a hydraulic lift, etc. Most of those are commercial/fleet trucks though and don’t usually have the flex step.

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flex step and non-flex step tailgates are
Not compatible for adding the step.

Both have the channels for the stripper pole and the step supports, but the non flex step tailgate has a welded piece of sheet metal across the top under the plastic trim. I tried that route first...

Edit: You could add the step with some metal work for the step and for where the supports bilt to the tailgate, but you’d still need to buy the step itself plus the plastic “cup” it sits in as well as the top trim pieces.

You can buy all the parts necessary to build your own, but probably easier/faster to start with a tailgate off a wrecked truck or one where the tailgate was replaced with a hydraulic lift, etc. Most of those are commercial/fleet trucks though and don’t usually have the flex step.

I have the step. Just want to take out the existing parts that make the gate open, and replace with parts that open with the remote, the remote key I will not get, just add in Rubys fix.

I think its the seleniod and the 2 white arms going to the release.

Thats why I am asking where did you get diagrams?

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First picture is of a yellow inside and is my Raptor

9789E0DF-5F7D-41A9-8098-6B2FCDB0A7E1.jpg

Second picture is from a f150 a year older than mine and shows what you have to unlock the gate.

I am trying to upgrade from the yellow design to the red design, which I thinks is a new Solenoid and 2 white metal arms that actually open the tailgate.

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the step. Just want to take out the existing parts that make the gate open, and replace with parts that open with the remote, the remote key I will not get, just add in Rubys fix.

I think its the seleniod and the 2 white arms going to the release.

Thats why I am asking where did you get diagrams?

Ah... I think I linked to the diagrams in another post when I first started the journey. Will search after work... Believe you’re correct re: just needing the solenoid and possibly new arms (though I believe they’re the same), plus you’d need the loom extension that plugs into that for power if not already in your tailgate.

I assume you have the light and camera on your tailgate latch, correct? Check to see if there’s already an unused loom/connector coming off that...check connector vs. the one in your friend’s truck. If not there, you may need a different version of the tailgate loom that plugs into the main wiring harness under the bed between the spare tire and bumper.

I also assume no release button on your remotes? The switch kit from @Ruby works great as long as there’s a solenoid to drive!

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that what
Ah... I think I linked to the diagrams in another post when I first started the journey. Will search after work... Believe you’re correct re: just needing the solenoid and possibly new arms (though I believe they’re the same), plus you’d need the loom extension that plugs into that for power if not already in your tailgate.

I assume you have the light and camera on your tailgate latch, correct? Check to see if there’s already an unused loom/connector coming off that...check connector vs. the one in your friend’s truck. If not there, you may need a different version of the tailgate loom that plugs into the main wiring harness under the bed between the spare tire and bumper.

I also assume no release button on your remotes? The switch kit from @Ruby works great as long as there’s a solenoid to drive!

Exactly what I needed. i will look for the connection s as I do have the camera. I am currently on travel, so in about a month I can get back to you. I think this is as easy as we both think.

Any diagrams you have would help. Also any part numbers would help.

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor update...but finally able to wrap this project up. Teaser pic for the custom badge from Billet Badges finally arrived!

i-JCTkc6W-X3.jpg

Wrapping up a project on the house, but should be able to install this mañana...

charliebrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor update...but finally able to wrap this project up. Teaser pic for the custom badge from Billet Badges finally arrived!

i-JCTkc6W-X3.jpg

Wrapping up a project on the house, but should be able to install this mañana...
Cool looking custom badge. Is that brushed carbon black / charcoal grey ?

Duane Janes

Reaction score
Couple questions ;-)

Do you have the driver's side roller part number you needed for the new tailgate?

Did you also find this additional bed attached flange part that is on factory installed Step tailgates?

View media item 14941