Swapped Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfw62

Reaction score
I like the wider portion up front to possibly add a bit more protection from any thrown rocks.

Also, in regard to the are they installed backwards by mistake question they are marked "L" and "R" on the bottom under the Raptor logo so wider in front seems to be how it's supposed to be. That said, if you like them reversed go for it.

Attachments

• IMG_7061.jpg
    IMG_7061.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 24

flockofraptors

Reaction score
I like the wider portion up front to possibly add a bit more protection from any thrown rocks.

Also, in regard to the are they installed backwards by mistake question they are marked "L" and "R" on the bottom under the Raptor logo so wider in front seems to be how it's supposed to be. That said, if you like them reversed go for it.

Crazy how the dremeled line matches exactly to the rear of both doors with the "reversed" setup

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The purpose of the wider front is for people of average height to stand toward the front and be able to reach the center windshield to clean it down when needed. Theres no need to stand on the rear portion because you have access from the bed if you need to climb up there. Putting the narrow steps on the front prevent that extra foot step to reach then front end of the truck.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The purpose of the wider front is for people of average height to stand toward the front and be able to reach the center windshield to clean it down when needed. Theres no need to stand on the rear portion because you have access from the bed if you need to climb up there. Putting the narrow steps on the front prevent that extra foot step to reach then front end of the truck.
What was the purpose of the grooves lining up one way but not the other?

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The intended purpose oem manufacrurer designed them for are different from what ford prioritized when placing them on the truck. Very few people under 6 feet tall would be able to reach the windshield without stepping on those fully extended rails to brush snow off the center windshield or clean the center. So my thoughts is ford considered that as more important when they placed them on the raptor.

My understanding is a standard f150 these side boards are originally designed for is a bit lower and easier to reach than a raptor so they can flip them the other direction. But when they say raptor its meant for the higher truck considerations. They go with the wide side forward not back hence why the raptor logo is on the front side. Most suv and trucks that are over 7.5 inches get side steps to ease average height people from entering the vehicle and the side steps were originally designed for this, but my thinking is ford flipped it the other way to solve the other issue i mentioned. A raptor has around a 11.5inch ground clearance which is higher than a standard suv or truck setup. So theres no right or wrong for this and ford didn't make any mistake. Its a matter of purpose and what is more important to the user. For ford safety comes first and allowing the operator to do maintenance on clearing windshield without a step stool or ladder makes it easier. The holes become irrelevant for this purpose since you have something to hold onto when youre going in and out of the truck. They could've easily had a separate side step designed with new holes or no holes on the side steps for the raptor but of course cost considerations always come into effect and this is where it landed.

If someone doesn't have a need to step on the forward end fully extended by all means its their perogative to flip them the other way.