Swapped Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Confusing design flaw with a simple design decision are two different things. When you engineer a moving part, there are many variables unaccounted for and unknown. Sometimes they do know the risk but go with it anyway hoping the cost benefit outweighs the risk of repairing so many things. A design decision is as simple as elon musk saying he wanted all the teslas to be black to save money by having one paint color but then realized white is a better choice to do that since its less obvious when theres different shades in production and has less tendency to fade.

Some choose to see it as some sort of cult or organized faction with a conspiracy to cover things up while im simply considering it as a business and the choices they make being in business.
You're diving deeper into this than I care. They could have done a better job on the running board cutouts to align them where occupants stand on them. They align damn near perfectly...backwards. I don't care about anything else. I'm saying in that aspect it's a design flaw at best....in my opinion.

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're diving deeper into this than I care. They could have done a better job on the running board cutouts to align them where occupants stand on them. They align damn near perfectly...backwards. I don't care about anything else. I'm saying in that aspect it's a design flaw at best....in my opinion.
No worries its just a conversation and sharing the considerations made on the business side which i havent seen pointed out to date. All i seen is mistakes, oversight and ignorance. Again these exact side steps were designed for the f150 in the reversed direction on the raptor but then they reversed them for the raptor so it's tomato tomato

ruey220

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought some of you were nuts until I gave it a try today during lunch. Looks better and a little extra area to help my 3 yr old climb into the truck. I'll leave them swapped for now.
I also need more width on the side steps for the in laws plus the 4 year old but i cant swap mine because ill lose footing for the front when i clean the windshield so i ended up ordering these.

rog7254

Reaction score
I noticed in the Gen 2 forum they were discussing the running boards being possibly installed on the wrong side at the factory. My dad has a Gen 2 so I asked him to snap a picture then I also went outside and took a look at mine. Sure enough it seems like the running boards are on the wrong side on his Gen 2 and my Gen 3. Has anyone with a Gen 3 swapped the drivers to passenger and passenger to drivers side so that the chamfer and raptor logo are up front? It seems like the holes would line up with under the door, the person entering the rear would have more of a step to use while getting in and it would follow the curves of the vehicle much better too. If you made the swap post a picture and let us know what you think. The pic below is how it came from the factory.