SVT break-in theft attempt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I just want to say your home being safe in the rockies has nothing to do with a break in at DIA. As Denver has now become a cesspool, thanks transplants @The Car Stereo Company (Auroras even worse). It’s in the news all over that tons of vehicles at DIA are being broken into all the time. Seems an easy place to harden, but yet they still keep reporting break-ins over and over. I highly doubt criminals in Denver are going to bother going to your home if it’s that far away but it’s possible. Hopefully you informed the cops and all that. But I’d harden up the home front and the easiest thing would be obviously locking everything every time at least for awhile.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've now had Ravelco installed on my last 6 vehicles. And because I'm off the pavement and the USPS doesn't deliver here, every document (including my drivers license) has a pobox rather than the street address. I don't know how bad Colorado has become, but kalifornistan is going WOT right off a cliff crime-wise. I'm in the final stages of installing one of these ptz surveillance cameras on each corner of my parcel right now. I also updated the exterior lighting with hpsv lamps on each side of the house. Nobody else has done both up here yet, so at least on paper it's the most difficult place to rob.

Attachments

• 20221015_174259.jpg
    20221015_174259.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220918_193134.jpg
    20220918_193134.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 32

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a console vault in mine and keep my registration in there. At least they have to break into something else to get my information.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dave,

Your concerns for your home and family are well taken. Yes, lock the doors to your house and any vehicles parked outside. If you can, relocate vehicles kept outside to your back yard - especially if it's fenced. Motion sensing security lights on all sides of the house would be a good measure. They are cheap, readily available, nearly impossible to defeat, but a bit of trouble to install. (Philips Lighting advises that several lighting types are being phased out including selected 'standard' high-pressure sodium (including retrofit), high-pressure mercury, and standard performance metal halide.)

In the event of a home invasion, a 4-ounce canister of OC (pepper spray) on the nightstand beside the bed is an effective (but not deadly) precaution. Due to my LE training, I recommend the gel. It's sticky, not as easy to wipe off as the foam, and you won't walk into your own cloud of OC. Since you live in the Colorado mountains, I presume you own a firearm. Keep it handy.

As to the truck, you can make it quite a bit more difficult to steal or steal from. A big steering wheel lock is visible from outside the vehicle and may deter mayhem. I have an old school one that locks the steering wheel to the brake pedal or the accelerator pedal. One thing I've done while out hiking and having left the truck at the trailhead is to chain the interior door armrests together with a length of chain that is just long enough for you to squeeze your hand into the cracked open door and use a key to unlock the padlock. It's a primitive measure, but it'll give the thief something else to fight with after he's defeated the door lock.

One of the things these guys do is defeat the hood mechanism and steal your battery. They do this by either unplugging the horn electrical connector, cutting the horn wires (either silences the factory security system), and then defeating the mechanical hood latch. With minimal tools and skills I have made this approach impossible. See photos.

Check out Jimmi Jammer's options for your truck here: https://jimmijammer.com/

Attachments

• Raptor horn wire guard 1.jpg
    Raptor horn wire guard 1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Raptor horn wire guard 2.jpg
    Raptor horn wire guard 2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Raptor hood security 2.jpg
    Raptor hood security 2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 37
  • Raptor hood security 3.jpg
    Raptor hood security 3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Dave,

Your concerns for your home and family are well taken. Yes, lock the doors to your house and any vehicles parked outside. If you can, relocate vehicles kept outside to your back yard - especially if it's fenced. Motion sensing security lights on all sides of the house would be a good measure. They are cheap, readily available, nearly impossible to defeat, but a bit of trouble to install. (Philips Lighting advises that several lighting types are being phased out including selected 'standard' high-pressure sodium (including retrofit), high-pressure mercury, and standard performance metal halide.)

In the event of a home invasion, a 4-ounce canister of OC (pepper spray) on the nightstand beside the bed is an effective (but not deadly) precaution. Due to my LE training, I recommend the gel. It's sticky, not as easy to wipe off as the foam, and you won't walk into your own cloud of OC. Since you live in the Colorado mountains, I presume you own a firearm. Keep it handy.

As to the truck, you can make it quite a bit more difficult to steal or steal from. A big steering wheel lock is visible from outside the vehicle and may deter mayhem. I have an old school one that locks the steering wheel to the brake pedal or the accelerator pedal. One thing I've done while out hiking and having left the truck at the trailhead is to chain the interior door armrests together with a length of chain that is just long enough for you to squeeze your hand into the cracked open door and use a key to unlock the padlock. It's a primitive measure, but it'll give the thief something else to fight with after he's defeated the door lock.

One of the things these guys do is defeat the hood mechanism and steal your battery. They do this by either unplugging the horn electrical connector, cutting the horn wires (either silences the factory security system), and then defeating the mechanical hood latch. With minimal tools and skills I have made this approach impossible. See photos.

you made those?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave,

I like what you did there and looks like a fun little fabrication project. Only thing i'm concerned with is if i ever lock myself out of my truck. Last year i killed my battery with all the doors locked and found out my door key didn't work. Luckily it was in my driveway so i had access to internet and tools to figure out how to break into my truck. After some internet searching i figured out how to pop the hood with a metal bar, then was able to charge the battery to get the doors unlocked. After that i made some provisions so if that ever happened and i wasn't at home, i could still get in.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to say your home being safe in the rockies has nothing to do with a break in at DIA. As Denver has now become a cesspool, thanks transplants @The Car Stereo Company (Auroras even worse). It’s in the news all over that tons of vehicles at DIA are being broken into all the time. Seems an easy place to harden, but yet they still keep reporting break-ins over and over. I highly doubt criminals in Denver are going to bother going to your home if it’s that far away but it’s possible. Hopefully you informed the cops and all that. But I’d harden up the home front and the easiest thing would be obviously locking everything every time at least for awhile.
thats just sexist. i identify as "moved a couple of states." im not a trans

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
All,
Thanks for all the input... and very thoughtful of all to include concerns about my home.
Without going into detail, I have 'sufficient' training, so to speak. I've actually been hoping for the 'home visit' so that I could put this to bed... permanently. Any visit will be extraordinarily bad for the other guy, I can assure you... and I'm not talking pepper spray.
I'll be using some of the many suggestions WRT protecting the vehicle... best bud of mine own Powerstroke Specialties, and he's a big fan of the Compustar system... so I'm thinking I'll do that.
Again... many thanks. Grumpy... I'll be in touch when the dust settles
Dave