SVT break-in theft attempt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djdawson2

Reaction score
Hi all,
This forum has been very helpful for me in numerous areas, and I want to thank this community in advance... you rock

I live back in the mountains where theft of any sort is virtually non-existent... our home is infrequently locked, and we've been here almost 25 years without any incident of any sort.

However, this past week, my wife used the truck, due to a heavy early snow, as transport to the airport. On her return - well after dark - she discovered that the truck had been broken into. This appears to be an incredibly easy task, as all the ***** had to do was forcibly remove the driver's door lock cylinder with what looks like a flathead screwdriver... that was the extent of the damage.

Given that my wife could find absolutely nothing missing except our insurance and registration paperwork, I told her to get in the truck and return home immediately. As far as we knew, she could have interrupted the process and said ***** was still in the vicinity.

While she was returning home, my mind raced. Why would anyone leave loose valuables in the vehicle while taking the time to steal paperwork? The airport... Denver Int'l Airport was a client of mine in the past. I know firsthand about the 1000's of CCTV cameras facility-wide, and also know that many are even capable of capturing the most discreet conversations on audio. There is exactly zero way a person could steal a vehicle without passing several points where the driver's face is deliberately captured, and to leave any of the secure parking areas requires a full stop, at which point a,still image is captured both of the driver's face, and the rear license plate. There's no way to avoid this without some property destruction and then some significant and noticeable off-roading.

My only logical conclusion was that "*****" was aware of all of this... and opted to take the paperwork... perhaps to take another shot at it when it was at home, late some quiet night.

Guys, aside from installing an alarm, what's my best option here? Armed with all the vehicle and personal information, is there any way "*****" could have a FOB made for future use? Does anyone make anything that could make the driver's door a little more difficult to defeat?

Any suggestions welcome. At this point, I feel like I'm on perpetual high-alert waiting for this possible future attempt. Other than the possibility that my wife or someone else interrupted the attempt, I can see no other reason "*****" would have taken only paperwork... leaving a nice large-screen Garmin mounted to the windshield, and a laptop in the back seat, amongst other things.

I'm pretty concerned here, and would be grateful for any serious input. Dogs and firearms are already in place... but how can a person make his SVT a little more difficult to break into that a cookie jar?

Thanks - Dave

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
im also in an area thats been safe basically my whole life growing up. recently ive heard of break ins and stolen f150s… seems like its spreading :(

These guys have a couple items. youll lose the key function though.

theres also ravelco which a bunch here like it. Idk much about it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Guys... thanks for the input. Yup, the home is a concern. I'm a car geek, and the SVT is peanuts comparatively speaking. 9000ft up, so not what I'd consider friendly ground for thieves... property is well covered with UHD. Nothing would occur undetected.
The Denver police were useless at the time of the incident, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if I'll get help beyond the police. There's no question whatsoever that if the effort were made, the incident could be found on existing footage. DIA's video surveillance makes that a known. However, getting police to care... another story.

Thanks again

OP
OP
D

djdawson2

Reaction score
Oh... Grumpy in Thornton... do you do Compustar sales/install? My business will be going somewhere, might as well be friendly