SVC builds running 40s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotStock

Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into how they are making 40s work? Does their mid travel push the spindles further forward? Pretty sure I’d lose half my firewall and kick the headlights out if I tried to run tires that big. Does the gen 2 just have way more clearance?

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into how they are making 40s work? Does their mid travel push the spindles further forward? Pretty sure I’d lose half my firewall and kick the headlights out if I tried to run tires that big. Does the gen 2 just have way more clearance?
I have been on a path of of getting 39s to work. It’s a lot of moving and modifying to get things just right.

The two big (rhetorical) questions that come into play.
Will you be doing it all yourself?
How much are you trying to spend?

The more you spend the less amount of work there to do ie if you go long travel and run +4 glass it’s “bolt on” but if you run beefy normal length suspension and don’t like the look of +4 then yeah you e got your work “cut out” (lol literally) for you.

the firewall is easy on the passenger side. Driver side not so much. I cut back as far as you could go before getting into relocating the parking brake mount. Plus you gotta take all the interior apart to move the wiring harness. Once you move the firewall the harness won’t go back to its normal path....

also good luck finding a shop that will mount/balance 40s unless you don’t mind doing it yourself or having a place throw balance bags in it instead of weights(not a fan)

Bottom line, do it yourself or fork over the big bucks.

If you do it yourself, how crazy..I mean creative... are you? Hahah

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also would add it comes down to your end goal. What are you trying to achieve. If you just want a big lifted raptor with 40s, go buy a 6” lift kit remove the front axle sand put on 40s. Have seen it, not what raptors are about but it will get there.

Can you expand a little on what your current setup is and your end goal? Prob will get some more accurate advice on what will be required

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

short answer: From the firewall forward, the gendeux is WAYYYYYY different than genjuan. the frame geometry is very very different.

It took TMX a good 6 weeks to get everything just right. It might not seem like there is a big difference between 39s and 40s( in particular KR3s), but KR3s are almost 2 full inches taller.

My goal was to actually be able to beat on the truck with the 40s. Not everyone has this requirement. ( I've driven my raptor more in Mexico than I have in the U.S. to put things in perspective.)

Since my truck, I guess everyone got 40 envy and a fair amount of shops are churning out trucks with 40s on them. It isn't cheap to do it properly, whether you're doing it yourself or paying someone else.

Is the difference between 37s, 39s, and 40s worth it? To me it is, but I set specific goals for my truck. I think a long-travel, linked truck with 37s is still more capable than mine (I run leaf springs and mid-travel), but Its a whole lot closer with me on 40s and I can keep up with some pretty talented drivers in my truck. ( It is still eye-opening to get into a 6100 or heavy metal door slammer then back into my truck. those rigs are stupid fast.)

Lots of bracing was removed. Lots of things were relocated, and things had to be massaged to not eject headlights.

Others have kicked things forward by stretching the front clip by as much as 3", but mine has no major mods outside of the svc mid-travel kit.

It is a sum of a bunch of small changes that make it possible.

It would have been far easier if anyone made a nice one pice front end, but with all the covid stuff, mcneil still hasn't made any progress on that yet.

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
:lol:

Around these parts, on the odd occasion I get a lady taking interest in my truck, it's about 50/50 positive vs. an eye roll.

"no, I'm not compensating. I'm an adult child who is plagued by irresponsible spending in order to facilitate adventures. So if you're allergic to fun in dirty places, we're done here. ( don't judge me) " ;)

OP
OP
N

NotStock

Reaction score
short answer: From the firewall forward, the gendeux is WAYYYYYY different than genjuan. the frame geometry is very very different.

Others have kicked things forward by stretching the front clip by as much as 3", but mine has no major mods outside of the svc mid-travel kit.

It would have been far easier if anyone made a nice one pice front end, but with all the covid stuff, mcneil still hasn't made any progress on that yet.

These are the big points I was wondering about. I had no idea that the 1 piece Gen 2 style front end only existed as a conversion from McNeil. Go figure.

From the two threads I have gathered that the Gen 1 requires cutting into the firewall and that is likely true even with mid travel. The front of the Gen 2 is different, allowing more clearance, so don't make any Gen 1 assumptions based on all the Gen 2 builds coming out on 40s.